Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kiwi

About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).
They grew into sturdy plants and over the years put on a lot of growth.
This year for the first time they are flowering! I was reconciled to
their never doing that. Now I'm wondering if they may fruit too!

Has anyone here got one that fruits?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after eating
them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?). They grew
into sturdy plants and over the years put on a lot of growth. This year
for the first time they are flowering! I was reconciled to their never
doing that. Now I'm wondering if they may fruit too!

Has anyone here got one that fruits?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Take a good look at the flowers because you will need a female and at least
1 male to get a fruit set, there are hermaphrodite forms on the market but
you are unlikely to get one of these from seed.
If you have a matched pair then fruit set can be quite good and some years
you will have gluts, as most things it depends on the sort of summer we get!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Hugh Newbury wrote:
About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).

Are you sure you mean kiwi fruit? The seeds are tiny little things, and
normally eaten with the fruit.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:26:09 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).
They grew into sturdy plants and over the years put on a lot of growth.
This year for the first time they are flowering! I was reconciled to
their never doing that. Now I'm wondering if they may fruit too!

Has anyone here got one that fruits?

Hugh

They certainly do grow from the seed. (To small to be stones!)
As Charlie says, it just depends if you have a male and a female.
Good luck! We had some germinate once but never got to fruiting them.

I rmemember once on GQT somebody saying that she planted a whole kiwi
friut! I can't remember the question rf the answers, just the
amazement of the team that she planted the whole fruit with so many
seeds.

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-06-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Are you sure you mean kiwi fruit? The seeds are tiny little things, and
normally eaten with the fruit.

But very easy to germinate. I've had kiwis germinate from the compost
heap; must have been a rotten fruit I'd thrown out.

You know, of all the random fruit seeds I grew on my window sill when I was
at uni, kiwi were never one that even sprang to mind. I may have to give it
a go.

(apple, tangerine, nectarine, mango, lychee all made it to plants, though -
the nectarine was probably the first, from a stone that had 2 seeds already
growing through it when I got to the centre of the fruit! All but the
apples have since perished, unfortunately.)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).

Are you sure you mean kiwi fruit? The seeds are tiny little things, and
normally eaten with the fruit.

It was so long ago I've actually forgotten what they were. But now you
mention it, I do seem to remember tiny seeds from one of the exotica I
grew at that time. I also have a pawpaw which is still smallish, but
surviving in the greenhouse. And a pomegranate looks healthy sharing a
bed with one of the kiwis. (No chance of them producing offspring, I
suppose? A little kigranate or tiny pomewi?)

Hugh

Kiwi fruit seeds are like grains of ground black pepper. That's not to
say you *couldn't* plant them but as Vicky says, they're more often
eaten!

I was just a bit confused by the idea that a kiwi fruit might have a stone!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).

I think the OP has posted that he might have mis-remembered what he
actually ate and what he actually planted. Sounds like it to me. I've
never tried to plant Kiwi fruit seeds so I'm certainly not saying it
can't be done but it seems that the effort involved might have prodded
the memory!

My money is on it being a loquat or litchi (a.k.a. leechee, a.k.a.
any other spelling of it you like).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 3:19*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hugh Newbury wrote:
About 6 or 8 years ago I bought some Kiwi fruit in Tesco and after
eating them I went all schoolboy again and planted the seeds/stones(?).

Are you sure you mean kiwi fruit? *The seeds are tiny little things, and
normally eaten with the fruit.

* But very easy to germinate. I've had kiwis germinate from the compost
heap; must have been a rotten fruit *I'd thrown out.

* *Janet

We have kiwis, (M&F) We get fruit but they are very small and
inedible so far.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 5:04*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
Are you sure you mean kiwi fruit? *The seeds are tiny little things, and
normally eaten with the fruit.
*But very easy to germinate. I've had kiwis germinate from the compost
heap; must have been a rotten fruit *I'd thrown out.

You know, of all the random fruit seeds I grew on my window sill when I was
at uni, kiwi were never one that even sprang to mind. *I may have to give it
a go.

* Ditto :-) It was an accidental surprise. If you are a fan of plants with
interesting stems and foliage, they are well worth growing for handsome
looks, and completely winter hardy where I live.. last winter mine came
through -6C without a blink. All you need is enough outdoor space to let
them ramp away. I've never seem fruit even on the biggest oldest one I
know (which smothers a wall 8 ft high and about 10 ft across) but that's
because most are not self-fertile. And if you had one doing its thing
you'd need a big garden for its mate.

* Janet.

Our's came through minus 15deg so Winter hardy.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

I'm trying to remember - was it Kiwi that was found growing right up
into mature trees when the Lost Gardens of Heligan were being restored?
I think whatever-it-was was in the Italian Garden.

It wouldn't be surprising. Bean doesn't give heights for A. chinensis,
but the others are all of the order of 20'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

As you go up the drive to RNIB Manor House in Torquay the retaining
wall which is around 20ft high is/ was covered with an old Actinidia,
from the days before anyone knew about "Kiwi fruit", grown for foliage.

Kiwi gender issues Right Star Edible Gardening 5 02-06-2003 04:56 AM
Kiwi? JNJ Gardening 9 27-03-2003 12:44 PM
Re(2): Kiwi plants Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 09:51 PM
Kiwi plants/clay soil SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 01-03-2003 02:39 PM
Kiwi plants Mark Edible Gardening 18 01-03-2003 09:52 AM