Old 15-06-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm worse than a slug :-(

In article ,
wrote in message

I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(
Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?
Come now Tina, if she snapped her "best" one there must have been at
least
three to have used "best" as a comparason :-)

Don't see why it couldn't have been best of two.

The better of two the best of three :-)

I've never attempted to grow courgettes, but occasionally buy one or two in
Tesco for a curry. I must be missing something as far as recipes are
concerned.

You are. Courgette flowers are a very tasty addition to omelettes,
and very small (sausage-sized) courgettes split into 4 lengthwise
are very good for use in dips. There are also salad recipes and
they are good thinly sliced and fried in good oil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-06-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
Don't see why it couldn't have been best of two.

The better of two the best of three :-)

Hmm, I'd still press for the better of the two being the best of the quite
small group.

I've never attempted to grow courgettes, but occasionally buy one or two in
Tesco for a curry. I must be missing something as far as recipes are
concerned.

I love courgettes. Softened in butter with mushrooms and thrown over pasta.
Old 15-06-2011, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
Don't see why it couldn't have been best of two.

The better of two the best of three :-)

Hmm, I'd still press for the better of the two being the best of the
quite
small group.

I've never attempted to grow courgettes, but occasionally buy one or two
in
Tesco for a curry. I must be missing something as far as recipes are
concerned.

I love courgettes. Softened in butter with mushrooms and thrown over
pasta.

Thanks,

I'll give it a go.

Bill

Old 19-06-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
Don't see why it couldn't have been best of two.

The better of two the best of three :-)

Hmm, I'd still press for the better of the two being the best of the
quite
small group.

I've never attempted to grow courgettes, but occasionally buy one or two
in
Tesco for a curry. I must be missing something as far as recipes are
concerned.

I love courgettes. Softened in butter with mushrooms and thrown over
pasta.

You are right! Tried this with the addition of some tomatoes - absolutey
lovely.

Bill

Old 20-06-2011, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
I love courgettes. Softened in butter with mushrooms and thrown over
pasta.

You are right! Tried this with the addition of some tomatoes - absolutey
lovely.

Had to happen one day. ;-)

In other news, planted 8 courgettes on the allotment today. 2 green bush, 3
yellow Jemmer, 3 Organic dundoo. I think I have a black beauty waiting to
go out, but it is till small atm.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

... turns out the bits I replanted have survived!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

... turns out the bits I replanted have survived!!

a stem cell miracle :-)

I'm fascinated about how it's happened. It would /appear/ that the snapped
off bit has managed to re-root itself, rather than the snapped growing tip
regrowing.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I would guess that you didn't snap it through completely, there was still a sliver of skin" joining the two bits, and this provided enough nutrient for the plant to sustain itself. The damage would have encouraged the plant to produce new roots about the break.

The one I dropped a plank of wood on and broke in two places is also doing fine and is as large as all the rest. Don't think it's got new roots, though I haven't poked among the leaves to find out.