Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default I'm worse than a slug :-(

I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

--
I dropped a plank of wood on mine. Chopped it in two places.

But it's still hanging on by just the skin and, remarkably, is still growing! It's produced another two leaves since then. So unless yours is chopped right through, don't disturb it and hope for the best.
__________________
Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

--

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?
Tina

Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?

A few, but I could have done without doing that. :-(

Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jun 2011 23:57:58 GMT, wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?

A few, but I could have done without doing that. :-(

Nah! A slug damages deliberately. In your case it was an accident - a
mistake! And the person who never makes a mistake never does anything.
So congratulate yourself on being active and hard working, rather than
criticising yourself.

Of course, you now have the perfect excuse! Next time it's cold and
wet outside, and you feel you have to go out and do something, you can
now tell yourself that if you do you might have another accident and,
in order to avoid that, you must sink back down into that comfy
armchair with a nice cup/glass of something you like.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
A few, but I could have done without doing that. :-(

Nah! A slug damages deliberately. In your case it was an accident - a
mistake! And the person who never makes a mistake never does anything.

Actually, I think I'm worse - the slug would be doing it deliberately, but
to eat. I just did it because I was moving the plant from one place to the
other and wasn't careful enough!

Of course, you now have the perfect excuse! Next time it's cold and
wet outside, and you feel you have to go out and do something, you can
now tell yourself that if you do you might have another accident and,
in order to avoid that, you must sink back down into that comfy
armchair with a nice cup/glass of something you like.

*goes to find the g+t*
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

--

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?
Tina

Come now Tina, if she snapped her "best" one there must have been at least
three to have used "best" as a comparason :-)

Bill

Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

--

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?
Tina

Come now Tina, if she snapped her "best" one there must have been at least
three to have used "best" as a comparison :-)

Bill

Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?

Come now Tina, if she snapped her "best" one there must have been at least
three to have used "best" as a comparason :-)

Don't see why it couldn't have been best of two.
HOwever.
I just did a count, and I have 14, including the snapped one (which I shoved
back into the soil, and is looking surprisingly healthy considering -
probably to do with the amount of rain falling on it atm.

Fortunately, the snapped one is an organic Dundoo, which I appear to have
most of. I also have some (yellow) Jemmer, and 2 green bush. If it had
been one of the green bush that I snapped I'd have been more upset, as they
tend to be the best for fruiting, and I don't know why only 2 germinated.

I do have some others - Black Beauty, and maybe another, but they aren't
doing so well. Think I must have been using dodgy soil for one batch I
planted, as I have a lot of cantaloupe and melons that aren't thriving, too.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 12 Jun 2011 20:42:12 GMT, wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:
[...]

It's a good vegetable, taken in moderation; but you seem to be a
courgette addict: shouldn't you seek treatment?

--
Mike.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote

vicky wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:
[...]

I was thinking along the same lines, two plants produce more than we can
use, 14 is excessive unless you have the British Army to feed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Because that would have been ungrammatical. You would have said "I snapped my better courgette ... ;-)
__________________
Old 13-06-2011, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
It's a good vegetable, taken in moderation; but you seem to be a
courgette addict: shouldn't you seek treatment?

Heh. I typically put out 6-8 plants on the allotment, and end up with 4 or
5 cropping reasonably. I have spares to cover: slug damage, people asking
for spares, school selling some at the summer fete. And me snapping them.

I like to be prepared. :-)
Old 13-06-2011, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
It's a good vegetable, taken in moderation; but you seem to be a
courgette addict: shouldn't you seek treatment?

I was thinking along the same lines, two plants produce more than we can
use, 14 is excessive unless you have the British Army to feed.

2 is nowhere near enough for us. I am happy to use 1 a day for us, and we
tend to cook + freeze some, and we give some to neighbours (especially the
one whose greenhouse we borrow, and the one who chickensits for us) a few
times each summer.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
I just snapped my best courgette at almost soil height. :'(

Stupid girl! Just joking - do you have more?

A few, but I could have done without doing that. :-(

I think I would rather kiss you than a slug!(:-)

Alan#