Old 17-06-2011, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default The Green Thing

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:18:29 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:57:03 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Les wastefull ??...you must be joking!

We had one bin in the old days, now you see black, green pink and white
bags at the roadside and a fleet of refuse collecting lorries in formation
like the Red Arrows going round on collection day!

How much pollution these lorries generate needs some explanation.

Which leads me to thinking.When I was a lad all parcels were delivered by
the post office who still deliver here most days. However last Wednesday we
had four different couriers deliver four different items as well as the
postman bringing the letters. How much pollution did that lot create?

That's not the point. It enriches politicians' cronies -- ooh, gosh,
sorry: I don't know what came over me! Of course, I mean it provides
consumers with Choice.

--
Mike.
Old 17-06-2011, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:18:29 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Does one need choice when the service provided is 1st class?

understand Royal Mail have made a hefty loss AGAIN :-(()

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 17-06-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2011 17:04, 'Mike' wrote:

Does one need choice when the service provided is 1st class?

understand Royal Mail have made a hefty loss AGAIN :-(()

It's likely to make a loss for evermore. The traffic that makes a profit
has been creamed off to private enterprise that is unfettered by the
universal service requirement. Only one carrier is required to take mail
and parcels anywhere for one price far below what it costs to take it to
most outlying areas.
--
Phil Cook
Old 17-06-2011, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:58:22 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Les wastefull ??...you must be joking!

We had one bin in the old days, now you see black, green pink and white
bags at the roadside and a fleet of refuse collecting lorries in formation
like the Red Arrows going round on collection day!

How much pollution these lorries generate needs some explanation.

The truck that shakes the rubbish to compact it has made a dip in the
road that is about 6" deep and it also snapped a very thick
underground telephone cable, not to mention the number of times the
driver has bashed and bent the street sign. If there is more than one
grain of snow per square metre they don't show up for a fortnight.
--

Martin

Tha't modern technology for you :-(

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:18:29 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

A bigger problem are the black plastic bin bags that are used in some
places. Incinerating those generates a lot of nasty stuff.
--

Martin

Seeing as we are asked to recycle plastic waste, do the black plastic bags
get recycled?

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:18:29 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

So did the privatisation of the Electricity Supply Industry. We had the
choice of service provider - competition was going to make things lest
costly. Now (please note Mr Parkinson) that former Electricity Boards are
being gobbled up into Super Supplier Agnecies.

Competition and more choice - Humbug !!

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 17/06/2011 17:04, 'Mike' wrote:

Does one need choice when the service provided is 1st class?

understand Royal Mail have made a hefty loss AGAIN :-(()

It's likely to make a loss for evermore. The traffic that makes a profit
has been creamed off to private enterprise that is unfettered by the
universal service requirement. Only one carrier is required to take mail
and parcels anywhere for one price far below what it costs to take it to
most outlying areas.
--
Phil Cook

E-mails surely have a lot to answer for ?

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 17/06/2011 17:04, 'Mike' wrote:

Does one need choice when the service provided is 1st class?

understand Royal Mail have made a hefty loss AGAIN :-(()

It's likely to make a loss for evermore. The traffic that makes a profit
has been creamed off to private enterprise that is unfettered by the
universal service requirement. Only one carrier is required to take mail
and parcels anywhere for one price far below what it costs to take it to
most outlying areas.
--
Phil Cook

E-mails surely have a lot to answer for ?

Bill

Not on this newsgroup. People use this newsgroup as their "Private method of
communications"

Just watch the length of the threads with only two people communicating
:-((((((((((((((

Old 17-06-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:42:05 +0200, Martin wrote:

A bigger problem are the black plastic bin bags that are used in some
places. Incinerating those generates a lot of nasty stuff.

Round here we were all given big green wheelie bins to replace the
black sacks that kept getting ripped open by every wild (and non wild)
animal for miles (farm next door + river = rats for example). Then 9
months later we were told that a new recycling system was coming in
which recycled everything that we were already recycling but in twice
as many containers and recycling collections would be weekly (instead
of fortnightly) and other rubbish (the wheelie bins) fortnightly
instead of weekly.

Then we were told that the wheelie bins were being discontinued and we
were going back to black bags (fortnightly) and the council generously
provides the equivalent of one black bag a fortnight which is half the
size of the black bags we had before the wheelie bins.

I ownder what the wheelie bins cost? We all have one stuck somewhere
out of the way. No good to put the black bags in as if we do, we can't
reach them to pull them out and if we turn the bin upside down, the
bags are so flimsy that they tear.

But at least all the various recycling containers are emptied into a
single lorry (which has different compartments before someone asks) so
all we have to do then is pick up the bits of broken glass and wotnot
left in the street after the collection.

""Let not thy left hand knoweth what thy right hand dooeth"" used to be the
message put out by the Councils, NOW, it's ""Not let thy left hand knoweth
that there is a right hand""

For crying out loud this newsgroup of all, ought to know about Council
""Managers"", (unless you are a real newbie)

Old 17-06-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:26:24 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

It's likely to make a loss for evermore. The traffic that makes a profit
has been creamed off to private enterprise that is unfettered by the
universal service requirement. Only one carrier is required to take mail
and parcels anywhere for one price far below what it costs to take it to
most outlying areas.

Whilst the letters and parcels business makes a substantial loss,
Royal Mail Group overall made an operating profit of £39 million in
2010-11. So as long as the Government doesn't sell off the profitable
bits, there may be hope ....

On the other hand, we get the service we pay for and that's another
debate that's really OT.