Old 16-06-2011, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Green Thing

At the till, in the supermarket, the cashier told an older woman that she
should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the
environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the
'green thing' back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today; your generation did not care
enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer Bottles.
They were sent back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled,
so the same bottles could be used over and over. So they really were
recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator or
elevator in every store and office building. They walked to the shops and
didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go a few
hundred yards.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's nappies because they didn't have the
throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling
machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the
clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not
always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her
day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room.
And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the
size of the Isle of Wight.
In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have
electric machines to do everything for them.
When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up
old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the
lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by
working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that
operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain or tap when they were thirsty instead of using a
cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water.
They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and
they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole
razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school instead
of turning their parents into a 24-hour taxi service.
They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to
power a dozen appliances.
And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from
satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest take-away.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful old people were
just because they didn't have the green thing back then?

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 16-06-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Heh Heh. Good points.
Old 16-06-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:44:11 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

[...]

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-06-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
harry writes

Heh Heh. Good points.

Sounds more like another cut and paste internet story to me. With sweet
fa to do with gardening, as usual.

I haven't heard the current generation lamenting how wasteful 'old
people' were.

--
regards andyw
Old 16-06-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
At the till, in the supermarket, the cashier told an older woman that
she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't
good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained,
"We didn't have the 'green thing' back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today; your generation did
not care enough to save our environment."

Disgusting behaviour. In a sane world, such a rude shop assistant would be
at least reprimanded and ideally sacked for such impertinence to a customer.

Ian

Old 16-06-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"newsb" wrote in message
In article
, harry
writes

Heh Heh. Good points.

Sounds more like another cut and paste internet story to me. With sweet
fa to do with gardening, as usual.

I haven't heard the current generation lamenting how wasteful 'old people'
were.

--
regards andyw

Indeed you are so correct. A cut and paste from a cruising forum where there
is much more live life.

""Po Faced"" is how this newsgroup/forum has been described to me ""without
your input"". ""I love the way you put them down with your NEXT PLEASE
ending"" ..................... :-))

A letter to my family ??????????????????????

Kindest possible regards on this lovely sunny evening :-)))))))))))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 16-06-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
At the till, in the supermarket, the cashier told an older woman that
she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't
good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained,
"We didn't have the 'green thing' back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today; your generation did
not care enough to save our environment."

Disgusting behaviour. In a sane world, such a rude shop assistant would be
at least reprimanded and ideally sacked for such impertinence to a
customer.

Ian

:-((

And Unison would take up the case of "Unfair dismissal" and said 'Check Out
Personage' would be awarded £Thousands to retire and go on World Cruises for
telling the truth

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 16-06-2011, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:57:03 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old 16-06-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

Who fitted your blinkers? I must give them a 'missed' :-((

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 17-06-2011, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ian B
writes

Disgusting behaviour. In a sane world, such a rude shop assistant would be
at least reprimanded and ideally sacked for such impertinence to a customer.

Its a formulaic internet urban myth as usual. Although I'm not sure it
even warrants the word 'myth'

--
regards andyw

Old 17-06-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
[...]

Your best posting for a long time!

Not forgetting that during the war we collected our waste/unsused vegetable
material in roadside bins for food for pigs.

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Les wastefull ??...you must be joking!

We had one bin in the old days, now you see black, green pink and white
bags at the roadside and a fleet of refuse collecting lorries in formation
like the Red Arrows going round on collection day!

How much pollution these lorries generate needs some explanation.

Bill

Old 17-06-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
[...]

We lived at Kingston on Thames at the time in an exclusive Close. The 'Pig
Bin' was not appreciated, but accepted ;-)

I remember collecting jam jars and taking them back to the shop. Half a
penny the 1lb and a penny for the 2 lb jars. Books collected 'For the
Troops' and waste paper for re cycling.

We were nowhere near as wasteful then.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 17-06-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I Like it. Only us oldies will understand or appreciate this.
Thanks

I am an oldie and think most things are better, less wasteful and less
polluting than when I was a kid.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Les wastefull ??...you must be joking!

We had one bin in the old days, now you see black, green pink and white
bags at the roadside and a fleet of refuse collecting lorries in formation
like the Red Arrows going round on collection day!

How much pollution these lorries generate needs some explanation.

Which leads me to thinking.When I was a lad all parcels were delivered by
the post office who still deliver here most days. However last Wednesday we
had four different couriers deliver four different items as well as the
postman bringing the letters. How much pollution did that lot create?

Mike

Old 17-06-2011, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

How many cars to a family now?

And we now have Dishwashers, Freezers, etc in addition to those items listed
in the dit.

We are a "I want it now" and "A throw away" Society.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.