Old 19-06-2011, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "All change"

I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm. First time I
have been there for quite some time and things in his garden have 'changed a
bit', mainly improvements on what was there already, as happens to most
gardens, but, the conversation got round to completely changing your garden.
Just as some people can't stay long married, they have to have a change
after a dozen years or so, have you completely changed your garden?

Dug the lawn up and put a veg garden there?

Dug the veg garden up and re located the shed there?

And if yours is still the same, but with improvements and the plants have
matured, are you still in the same marriage?

4th House. Never completely re-made. 54 years married.

Where do you fit in?

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 19-06-2011, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm. First time I
have been there for quite some time and things in his garden have 'changed
a bit', mainly improvements on what was there already, as happens to most
gardens, but, the conversation got round to completely changing your
garden. Just as some people can't stay long married, they have to have a
change after a dozen years or so, have you completely changed your garden?

Dug the lawn up and put a veg garden there?

Dug the veg garden up and re located the shed there?

And if yours is still the same, but with improvements and the plants have
matured, are you still in the same marriage?

4th House. Never completely re-made. 54 years married.

Where do you fit in?

Mike

The following give an example of what I mean, the pictures on the left show
what it was like when we moved in, well a short while later, those on the
right quite a while later. (The shed has been stained for example)

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-7GIMXOT...-of-Other.html

Now consider up to date photos. Just like us, 'still there', but older ;-)

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q

Old 19-06-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes
I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm. First time I
have been there for quite some time and things in his garden have 'changed a
bit', mainly improvements on what was there already, as happens to most
gardens, but, the conversation got round to completely changing your garden.
Just as some people can't stay long married, they have to have a change
after a dozen years or so, have you completely changed your garden?

Dug the lawn up and put a veg garden there?

Dug the veg garden up and re located the shed there?

And if yours is still the same, but with improvements and the plants have
matured, are you still in the same marriage?

4th House. Never completely re-made. 54 years married.

Where do you fit in?
Mike

Not much changed in 50 years, except that since my wife died 16 years
ago I haven't really had the enthusiasm for growing veg. T'ain't
hardly worth it when you are alone, and you give most of it away.

One exception - strawberries, I'll never buy them again, they just don't
match up with home grown.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-06-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Same marriage-40+ years and 12 years in this garden, it hasn't changed all
that much, I have stopped doing bedding stuff except for sunflowers and
sweet peas, but I do more shrubs and trees.

kate

Old 19-06-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

Where do you fit in?
Mike

Not much changed in 50 years, except that since my wife died 16 years
ago I haven't really had the enthusiasm for growing veg. T'ain't
hardly worth it when you are alone, and you give most of it away.

One exception - strawberries, I'll never buy them again, they just don't
match up with home grown.

Same marriage-40+ years and 12 years in this garden, it hasn't changed
all that much, I have stopped doing bedding stuff except for sunflowers
and sweet peas, but I do more shrubs and trees.

kate

Yes, mine gradually went "low-maintenance" Hollow laugh with shrubs
and perennials.

If this was a dating site I might offer to try some runner beans,
chantenay carrots, mange toute, salad leaves again, but we'd have to
share 'em with the snails...

(Assume huge smiley).
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 20-06-2011, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jun 19, 8:29*am, "'Mike'" wrote:

I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm...

SNIP

I'm a bit curious as to what relevance the Masonic Lodge bit carries
to the rest of the post. Strange how things change - my father was a
Provincial Grand Master, WM of several lodges and Lord knows what with
Mark Master Masons. He never found it necessary to mention any of it
during everyday conversation at home or socially, nor for that matter
did any of his masonic colleagues. Funnily enough, friends of mine
who are masons never refer to it 'as a matter of course' either.

Old 20-06-2011, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 8:29 am, "'Mike'" wrote:

I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm...

SNIP

I'm a bit curious as to what relevance the Masonic Lodge bit carries
to the rest of the post. Strange how things change - my father was a
Provincial Grand Master, WM of several lodges and Lord knows what with
Mark Master Masons. He never found it necessary to mention any of it
during everyday conversation at home or socially, nor for that matter
did any of his masonic colleagues. Funnily enough, friends of mine
who are masons never refer to it 'as a matter of course' either.

Well it's the 'place/name/situation dropping' which is so popular within the
chit chat/public emails of this newsgroup/forum isn't it?

"What's good for the Goose ..........."

Kindest regards

Mike

NEXT PLEASE

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 20-06-2011, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

SNIP

I have a 25' square garden. It used to be lawn for lad to play on, with
narrow borders around. Grew sweet corn, peas, runners etc. When lad grew up
I dug a pond taking up half of garden. Now I'm really into veggys, am
thinking of filling in pond and installing a greenhouse. World moves on,
things evolve.....

Mike.....email me re. sommat else.

Pete C

Old 21-06-2011, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Poole writes
On Jun 19, 8:29*am, "'Mike'" wrote:

I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm...

SNIP

I'm a bit curious as to what relevance the Masonic Lodge bit carries
to the rest of the post. Strange how things change - my father was a
Provincial Grand Master, WM of several lodges and Lord knows what with
Mark Master Masons. He never found it necessary to mention any of it
during everyday conversation at home or socially, nor for that matter
did any of his masonic colleagues. Funnily enough, friends of mine
who are masons never refer to it 'as a matter of course' either.

It was mentioned to me by an uncle when I was in my 20s. He made it
clear that he could "get me in", but that I would have to make the first
moves. I didn't bother, and my decision was based on some dodgy
dealings I witnessed at close range, involving my manager and a few of
his Masonic cronies who were automatically awarded profitable contracts
in preference to genuine tenders.

I had the unpleasant task of trying to explain why they never won, and
refusing bribes which I was offered. 8-(

The organisation may raise money for charity, but self-interest is the
motivation for many of the members.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-06-2011, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote ...

"'Mike'" wrote:

I was at a Masonic Lodge BBQ last night at a member's farm...

SNIP

I'm a bit curious as to what relevance the Masonic Lodge bit carries
to the rest of the post. Strange how things change - my father was a
Provincial Grand Master, WM of several lodges and Lord knows what with
Mark Master Masons. He never found it necessary to mention any of it
during everyday conversation at home or socially, nor for that matter
did any of his masonic colleagues. Funnily enough, friends of mine
who are masons never refer to it 'as a matter of course' either.

When my Uncle died there was a wreath appeared with a strange inscription
and a friend of the family looked at it and said he didn't realise George
was so high up in the Masons. His family didn't even know he was in the
Masons.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-06-2011, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message
, Dave
Poole writes
On Jun 19, 8:29 am, "'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

Isn't it odd, that when exactly the same camaraderie and business dealings
happen in the Golf Club, Cricket Club and such, even in Gardening and
Allotment Clubs, nothing is said? For example, when I was on the Committee
of the Chamber of Commerce, business dealings were made between members.

And what do the members of urg think of http://islandbusinessnetwork.co.uk/
Nothing to do with Masonry

Odd isn't it? ;-))

Mike

NEXT PLEASE :-)

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 21-06-2011, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Dave Poole" wrote ...

"'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

Well it used to be very secret, which as you are all very well aware, was
detrimental to its purpose. However, much to the consternation of some of
the older members of urg, the Freemasons are publicising the Brotherhood and
the membership is growing well 'Thank you very much' :-)) What do you think
of this ...
http://hiowmasons.org/news/147-freem...2011-programme ?

Kind regards

Mike

NEXT PLEASE

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 21-06-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jun 20, 8:07*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

Well it's the 'place/name/situation dropping' which is so popular within the
chit chat/public emails of this newsgroup/forum isn't it?

"What's good for the Goose ..........."

Ah, yes I see now. You're justifying your own name dropping,
irrelevance and generally pompous remarks.
Jolly good. Carry on.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 8:07 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

Well it's the 'place/name/situation dropping' which is so popular within
the
chit chat/public emails of this newsgroup/forum isn't it?

"What's good for the Goose ..........."

Ah, yes I see now. You're justifying your own name dropping,
irrelevance and generally pompous remarks.
Jolly good. Carry on.
.................................................. ................

:-)

Thanks for the recognition and permission :-))

Mike

NEXT PLEASE

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 21-06-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Poole writes

I'm a bit curious as to what relevance the Masonic Lodge bit carries
to the rest of the post.

More of the continual display of that odd combination of total
insecurity and obsessive narcissm.

The funny thing is that he has such a lack of self-awareness that he
doesn't grasp how laughable the excessive name dropping and boasting
makes him look.

Recently, for some obscure reason he seems to be closing his posts with
a reference to a high street fashion chain.

--
regards andyw