Old 22-06-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

Hi, thanks for giving advice for presenting photos to the newsgroup, I opted
for Photobucket
and I am sure after a few more tweeks, it will be better presented.
There are 12 pictures of various plants to ID one of them is repeated at the
bottom.
I guess if you number them left to right as if reading a book page, it would
help me to tie them together.
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/dmiko2/
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike in Northumberland.

Old 22-06-2011, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike
writes
Hi, thanks for giving advice for presenting photos to the newsgroup, I
opted for Photobucket
and I am sure after a few more tweeks, it will be better presented.
There are 12 pictures of various plants to ID one of them is repeated
at the bottom.
I guess if you number them left to right as if reading a book page, it
would help me to tie them together.
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/dmiko2/
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike in Northumberland.

1) The red is Helianthemum (rock rose) - is the white the same? (In the
photo the flowers are washed out, which makes things less clear cut.)

The spectacularly red Helianthemum is 'Firedragon', but yours looks too
pale for this.

2) Is that another Helianthemum? I can't make out the details. 'Wisley
Primrose' is a common yellow cultivar.

3) Geranium. Probably a Geranium sanguineum (bloody cranesbill) cultivar

4) Hypericum androsaemum or Hypericum x inodorum (I distinguish them by
the relative sizes of sepals and petals).

5) Rosa (rose); no idea which one.

6) pass.

7) Allium moly (golden garlic)

8) Thalictrum (meadow rue); Google leads me to suspect Thalictrum
flavum.

9) Maybe Phytolacca americana (pokeweed)

10) One of the ornamental Alliums. Perhaps Allium christophii, but I
seem to recall that there is a similar species also cultivated.

11) Phacelia tanacetifolia

12) pass.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-06-2011, 04:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote:

Hi, thanks for giving advice for presenting photos to the newsgroup, I opted
for Photobucket
and I am sure after a few more tweeks, it will be better presented.
There are 12 pictures of various plants to ID one of them is repeated at the
bottom.
I guess if you number them left to right as if reading a book page, it would
help me to tie them together.
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/dmiko2/
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike in Northumberland.

Imo, you need close-up shots - close enough to count the petals on a flower, or
see the leaf shape, or see the seed pods - in addition to the ones you've got
which show the habit of the plant.

Old 23-06-2011, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi, thanks for giving advice for presenting photos to the newsgroup, I
opted for Photobucket
and I am sure after a few more tweeks, it will be better presented.
There are 12 pictures of various plants to ID one of them is repeated at
the bottom.
I guess if you number them left to right as if reading a book page, it
would help me to tie them together.
http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/dmiko2/
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike in Northumberland.

I agree with all Stewarts guesses, and I think #12 may be Telekia speciosa,
if I am right it will have yellow fine rayed daisy flowers with a nice scent
but the foliage stinks. However there are a couple of common biannuals that
look similar in leaf so it may be worth trying again when you have flowers

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-06-2011, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Jun 23, 8:39*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

Number 6 is Artemesia, I think ('Valerie Finnis'?)