Old 25-06-2011, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsia Identification please

I have uploaded a small video of two Fuchsias that were bought at a May Day fair to YouTube.

When I planted them one label said 'Giant Sunflower' and even I can see it isn't and the other didn't have a label.

As you can see one is lax in habit, probably a basket variety, with winged flowers. The the other is a very strong upright plant with Thalia type flowers, however the stems are very furry/downy. Any help would be greatly appreciated you will find the video at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kae8WVadZVs

Steve
Old 26-06-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2011 10:11, 80/20 wrote:
I have uploaded a small video of two Fuchsias that were bought at a May Day fair to YouTube.

When I planted them one label said 'Giant Sunflower' and even I can see it isn't and the other didn't have a label.

As you can see one is lax in habit, probably a basket variety, with winged flowers. The the other is a very strong upright plant with Thalia type flowers, however the stems are very furry/downy. Any help would be greatly appreciated you will find the video at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kae8WVadZVs

Steve

The first one looks very like Fuchsia 'Satellite'. The second one I
don't recognise.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 25/06/2011 10:11, 80/20 wrote:
I have uploaded a small video of two Fuchsias that were bought at a May Day fair to YouTube.

When I planted them one label said 'Giant Sunflower' and even I can see it isn't and the other didn't have a label.

As you can see one is lax in habit, probably a basket variety, with winged flowers. The the other is a very strong upright plant with Thalia type flowers, however the stems are very furry/downy. Any help would be greatly appreciated you will find the video at :

‪Fuchsia Identification.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Steve

The first one looks very like Fuchsia 'Satellite'. The second one I
don't recognise.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay
Yes I agree as I used to have Sattelite its a lovely fuchsia.

I will get back to you on the second.

Scotkat
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsia Deep Purple

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:18:34 +0000, Scotkat
wrote:

By the way is it too late to start taking
cuttings from plug plants at this time of year, or should I wait until
next spring

And if your plug fuchsias are still small I would say not but if they
are bigger plants yes you can take tip cuttings.

Can you overwinter your fuchsias?

Would suggest you wait till September if you can over winter your
cuttings, (most winters you can get away with an unheated greenhouse
and a few layers of fleece, but of course not like last winter)
We find cuttings taken in September make better plants next year.
Tip cuttings can be taken, but trying to keep them al vie if we have a
very hot spell (we should be so lucky!) would be difficult.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20[_3_] View Post
I have uploaded a small video of two Fuchsias that were bought at a May Day fair to YouTube.

When I planted them one label said 'Giant Sunflower' and even I can see it isn't and the other didn't have a label.

As you can see one is lax in habit, probably a basket variety, with winged flowers. The the other is a very strong upright plant with Thalia type flowers, however the stems are very furry/downy. Any help would be greatly appreciated you will find the video at :

Fuchsia Identification.wmv - YouTube

Steve
I have a fuchsia very much like the last one on the video, its a tryphilla fuchsia, called Coralle... although my flowers are perhaps a bit brighter, not sure as it could be the video....its a tender variety though, so best indoors in winter. Hopes that helps
House signs and house numbers for your home

The House Sign Studio
House signs and house numbers