Old 27-06-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tractor mower

I have an old (a very old!) Al-Ko 10/36 tractor mower with a Briggs &
Stratton 10hp 4-stroke engine which starts and runs well and is
essential for mowing my orchard.

The pan which holds the cutter bars and drive belts is riddled with rust
and it is only a matter of time before it falls apart. Everything which
fits onto the pan is in fairly good condition.

Does anyone know where I can get another of these pans in reasonable
condition, or of an old Al-Ko which is going for spares? I tried asking
on a forum and got a number of stupid suggestions.

Pictures are at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/royhbailey/sets/72157626934067269/

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 27-06-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
I have an old (a very old!) Al-Ko 10/36 tractor mower with a Briggs &
Stratton 10hp 4-stroke engine which starts and runs well and is
essential for mowing my orchard.

The pan which holds the cutter bars and drive belts is riddled with rust
and it is only a matter of time before it falls apart. Everything which
fits onto the pan is in fairly good condition.

Does anyone know where I can get another of these pans in reasonable
condition, or of an old Al-Ko which is going for spares? I tried asking
on a forum and got a number of stupid suggestions.

Is it made of steel? Are you up for a bit of DIY? If so get yourself a cheap
mig welder and patch it up.
A pal of mine bought a similar old machine for peanuts because the deck was
falling apart. Start by cutting repair patches for the areas that hold the
bolt on bits, then work your way out. Make each patch as big as the flat
area its on, it will end up somewhat heavier, and eventually mostly patch
and weld, but it will still work and won't cost much to do once you have a
welder. You may find lots of other little welding jobs once you have it.

Mike

Old 27-06-2011, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roy Bailey wrote in news:+O0pRTDytGCOFwU3
@btinternet.com:

I have an old (a very old!) Al-Ko 10/36 tractor mower with a Briggs &
Stratton 10hp 4-stroke engine which starts and runs well and is
essential for mowing my orchard.

The pan which holds the cutter bars and drive belts is riddled with rust
and it is only a matter of time before it falls apart. Everything which
fits onto the pan is in fairly good condition.

Does anyone know where I can get another of these pans in reasonable
condition, or of an old Al-Ko which is going for spares? I tried asking
on a forum and got a number of stupid suggestions.

Pictures are at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/royhbailey/sets/72157626934067269/

Roy.

Roy, you will struggle to get any bits for your mower. I bet every owner is
looking for the same part!(consumables?)
I have some motorcycles which run like new, but are missing something such
as a front mudguard or a nacelle. You just have to make it yourself or
spend lots of money to get it fabricated as a one of.

You might get away with making a mould and replicating with GRP(fibreglass)
you will have to google that. After all of that your 4 stroke might need
some bits and they are rarer than tits on a chicken.

I hope you don't regard my reply as stupid.

Good wishes
Baz
Old 27-06-2011, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MuddyMike" wrote in
om:

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
[...]

Damn good idea, it will weigh but so what.
My gut feeling is that increasing the thickness will not allow re-assembly
without some serious re-designing. Hope I am wrong.

Baz
Old 27-06-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:13:34 GMT, Baz wrote:

You might get away with making a mould and replicating with
GRP(fibreglass) you will have to google that.

Not sure that a pure GRP construction would be strong enough but I
guess you could put in metal strenthing members and bit where things
pass through be a right faff though.

Assuming that what is left is still strong enough to support the bits
why not give it good clean and wire brush, treat with a zinc loaded
paint and then line the inside with GRP(*) and layer it through the
holes.

(*) To keep the nasty corosive plant juices away from the steel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-06-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes

Roy, you will struggle to get any bits for your mower. I bet every owner is
looking for the same part!(consumables?)
I have some motorcycles which run like new, but are missing something such
as a front mudguard or a nacelle. You just have to make it yourself or
spend lots of money to get it fabricated as a one of.

You might get away with making a mould and replicating with GRP(fibreglass)
you will have to google that. After all of that your 4 stroke might need
some bits and they are rarer than tits on a chicken.

I hope you don't regard my reply as stupid.

Not at all. (Certainly not compared with some on the forum!)

The problem is that the photos don't show just how bad is the condition
of the pan. If any welding was attempted I am sure all the rust would
burn away. It is only that which is holding it together.

Thanks anyway to all for the advice.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 29-06-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article , Baz
writes

[...]

You would be surprised how little good steel you need as the base for a
patchwork welded repair. Particularly if it doesn't need to be pretty.

Mike