Old 05-07-2011, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water plants on window cill

We got some 'water' plants from Ikea that come in a clear plastic cup filled
with water.

Have put them in a south facing window, but the water turns green and algae
forms around the container.

We have been changing the water regularly, but they are just not happy and
looking in a sorry state.

Can they just not be kept like that? Are we doing something wrong?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:22:45 +0100, "john brook"
wrote:

We got some 'water' plants from Ikea that come in a clear plastic cup filled
with water.

Have put them in a south facing window, but the water turns green and algae
forms around the container.

Algae needs light and the minerals in the water to grow and that's it!
Don't use an algaecide as it will kill plants as well. What you could
try is a few red ramshorn snails. They will eat the algae and add a
bit of interest. Most tropical fish shops will have some.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

water on window sill mo Lawns 1 29-10-2006 02:03 PM
good Indoor Plants for an Office without Window Salty Thumb Gardening 0 28-02-2004 10:42 AM
One window, 7 plants, lots of questions The Enigma Orchids 3 12-01-2004 11:05 PM