Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What on earth is this ??

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:46:24 +0100, AriesVal
wrote:

On 05/07/2011 21:35, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
o.uk...
A dead nastie on the edge of the pathway at the back our our house.
Never
seen anything like it before in my life! It's about 2 inches long with
fat body like a big spider ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/valerie...54502794374242
--

Looks like a signal crayfish

Tina

It doesn't have a tail like a crayfish - soft rounded body like a big
spider?

Signal crayfish on its back, with the tail curled in death:

Looks like that woodlouse killed it and is trying to drag it back home... !

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
o.uk...
A dead nastie on the edge of the pathway at the back our our house.
Never
seen anything like it before in my life! It's about 2 inches long
with a
fat body like a big spider ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/valerie...54502794374242
--

Looks like a signal crayfish

Tina

It doesn't have a tail like a crayfish - soft rounded body like a big
spider?

Signal crayfish on its back, with the tail curled in death:

Looks like that woodlouse killed it and is trying to drag it back home...
!

I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.
Some of my friends encourage me to stamp on them as they do. I will not do
it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2011 00:37, Christina Websell wrote:
I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.
Some of my friends encourage me to stamp on them as they do. I will not do
it.

I hate them. I stomp on them. What good do they do ?

--
Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:47:03 +0100, AriesVal wrote:

I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.

I hate them. I stomp on them. What good do they do ?

Eat deacying material thus helping to cycle nutrients around.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:22:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:47:03 +0100, AriesVal wrote:

I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.

I hate them. I stomp on them. What good do they do ?

Eat deacying material thus helping to cycle nutrients around.

Why kill things that don't do you any harm?

Pam in Bristol

Old 13-07-2011, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:47:03 +0100, AriesVal wrote:

I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.

Not she didn't/ It was me

Old 22-07-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" sumone@somewhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/07/2011 00:37, Christina Websell wrote:
I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.
Some of my friends encourage me to stamp on them as they do. I will not
do
it.

I hate them. I stomp on them. What good do they do ?

Why do you feel the need to kill them by jumping on them?
I never kill anything except by accident. Unless it's a fox after my
chickens.

Old 22-07-2011, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Limping chicken

Christina Websell wrote:
Why do you feel the need to kill them by jumping on them?
I never kill anything except by accident. Unless it's a fox after my
chickens.

Speaking of chickens, you've reminded me ...

Our white chicken, who is by far the best layer, has started limping on her
right leg. Now i think about it, she may have been doing it for a few
weeks. I'm wondering if I've accidentally hurt her by throwing her into the
air when she's having a flap (she tends to land quite heavily). :-(

I had a look at her leg and I couldn't see anything that looked particularly
wrong with it, but I'm not sure I would know what to look for. Any
suggestions? (other than "don't throw your poor wing-clipped chickens in
the air, cos they can't fly!")
Old 22-07-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

news:9JWdnQNpauK62IbTnZ2dnUVZ8oOdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
On 09/07/2011 00:37, Christina Websell wrote:
I like woodlice, they do important things in the garden.
Some of my friends encourage me to stamp on them as they do. I will not
do
it.

I hate them. I stomp on them. What good do they do ?

Why do you feel the need to kill them by jumping on them?
I never kill anything except by accident. Unless it's a fox after my
chickens.

They help to clear up decaying plant matter, which presumably helps
keep diseases down.

--
Mike.
Old 23-07-2011, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Look under her foot for a swelling called bumble foot.
http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/...t-chickens.php

Hmm, will do. I didn't notice anything when I looked at her, but I also
didn't really know what to look for. I'll have another look at her.

The other possibility if she is old and/or a heavy layer, her skeleton
may now be very depleted of the calcium drawn from bones to make
eggshells.. in other words chicken osteoporosis.

She's not /very/ old, coming up to 2 years I guess now, but she has always
been a reliable layer, and she does lay very big eggs for the size of her.

and don't throw your chickens into the air; they deserve more respect.

It seemed like a nice way for her to get to flap her wings a bit, but in
hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea. :-(