Old 14-07-2011, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn - cutting length

Most years I would be expecting to raise the blades for a final cut before
stopping mowing over the middle of the summer season.
[Gives the grass more chance in the dry weather.]

At the moment the lawn is going berserk and growing like a mad thing.
So I don't know if I should lower the cut to try and keep it under control
or cut more frequently at a higher setting to keep it vigorous.
All this rain!

Murphy's law states that if I lower the cut we will have a prolonged dry
spell and the lawn will suffer.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 14-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
Most years I would be expecting to raise the blades for a final cut before
stopping mowing over the middle of the summer season.
[Gives the grass more chance in the dry weather.]

At the moment the lawn is going berserk and growing like a mad thing.
So I don't know if I should lower the cut to try and keep it under control
or cut more frequently at a higher setting to keep it vigorous.
All this rain!

Murphy's law states that if I lower the cut we will have a prolonged dry
spell and the lawn will suffer.
I forget where you live, but for me in Bucks the weather forecast for the weekend and next week shows frequent damp spells and a maximum temp (after 21 tomorrow) of 18C. Weather forecasts are of course unreliable, but on such a forecast the likelihood that next week should be warm or dry seems low. And if by cutting your lawn tight with your murphy mower, it did become warm and dry, that would do us all a favour.
Old 14-07-2011, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2011 09:58, David WE Roberts wrote:
Most years I would be expecting to raise the blades for a final cut
before stopping mowing over the middle of the summer season.
[Gives the grass more chance in the dry weather.]

At the moment the lawn is going berserk and growing like a mad thing.
So I don't know if I should lower the cut to try and keep it under
control or cut more frequently at a higher setting to keep it vigorous.
All this rain!

Murphy's law states that if I lower the cut we will have a prolonged dry
spell and the lawn will suffer.

Cheers

Dave R

I prefer to keep my lawn at a medium heigh and cut it as necessary to
keep it looking tidy. ISTR that the shorter the cut, the less drought
tolerant the lawn

Malcolm
Old 14-07-2011, 09:45 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
Most years I would be expecting to raise the blades for a final cut before
stopping mowing over the middle of the summer season.
[Gives the grass more chance in the dry weather.]
I'm astonished! I'm mowing weekly all over summer through to autumn, and I usually get stuck with it being too wet for the final cut, so it goes into winter looking shaggy. Just shows how different growing conditions can be in different parts of the country.