Old 21-07-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrots - my experiment

I have had the dreaded fly from year 1 of my venture into growing veg, year
2 was the same and it nearly put me off growing the things.
Year 3(last year) I made a timber frame and covered it with pvc around, not
the top as water will not get through. I had no fly and someone here
suggested that it might be because the fly and its larvae died during
winter. I tested this year. I sowed seeds in the frame and a few in open
ground.

The carrots in the frame are perfect whereas the ones in open ground are
riddled with the thing.

To me this is case proven though when I first heard of the barrier method I
was very sceptical.(Isuppose some wiseass is going to make a joke about
barrier method)

It's a faff and expensive making the frame but a carrot fresh out of the
ground is something to write home about, and the frame will last a few
years?

Baz
Old 21-07-2011, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 5:36*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

You might try sowing very thinly and not thinning the seedlings.
The theory is that the smell when you pull them up attracts the carrot
flies. Seems to work for me.
Old 21-07-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 21, 6:41*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 21, 5:36*pm, Baz wrote:

[...]

flies. Seems to work for me.- Hide quoted text -

"They" also say thet carrot root fly are active when Cow parsley is in
flower.
Old 22-07-2011, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

A large "Country " House not far from me has turned to commercial veg
gardening to help make ends meet. We visited the gardens and the owner had a
section put to carrots. the Plot was surrounded with a plant (can't rememer
the name) which grew to about 18 ins tall. This we were told kept the carrot
fly away as the fly likes to approach the plants near the ground. To me
this sounded bizarrebut apparently it works. This might explain why the
polythene screen round your carrots prevented the fly getting to your
carrots.

Don't laugh - just throw pennies :-)

Bill

Old 22-07-2011, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

You might try sowing very thinly and not thinning the seedlings.
The theory is that the smell when you pull them up attracts the carrot
flies. Seems to work for me.

harry,
I have sowed them as thinly as possible in both cases and have not thinned
out any of them.

Baz

Old 22-07-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

snippy

I just use pea sticks at 3ft intervals, then run kitchen cling film around
the area, taping to the sticks. Works fine
Pete C

Old 23-07-2011, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

snippy

I just use pea sticks at 3ft intervals, then run kitchen cling film
around the area, taping to the sticks. Works fine
Pete C

Good idea, I'll pass it on.

Baz
Old 26-07-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 4:54*am, Baz wrote:
"Pete C" wrote :

"Baz" wrote in message

snippy

I just use pea sticks at 3ft intervals, then run kitchen cling film
around the area, taping to the sticks. Works fine
Pete C

Good idea, I'll pass it on.

Baz

I have been told that planting carrots near onions or planting
marigolds near to your carrots are also supposed to put the carrot fly
off.