Old 25-07-2011, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Early plums

This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps, third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

mark

Old 25-07-2011, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 mark wrote:

This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps, third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

I don't think it matters what the variety is as all plums seem to be
about two to three weeks earlier this year. Normally my plums in
Normandy ripen during the first week of August but this year they were
ripening last week while I was over there. That means that, because I
can't get back there until the second week of August, I shall lose most
of the crop this year! :-(

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 25-07-2011, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2011 12:36, mark wrote:
This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps, third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

Slightly OT, but last Thursday I found (and ate!) a number of wild
Cherry Plums (Prunus cerasifera) on a West Sussex/Surrey border. The
hedgerow was smothered with them.

--

Jeff
Old 25-07-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jeff Layman wrote:
Slightly OT, but last Thursday I found (and ate!) a number of wild
Cherry Plums (Prunus cerasifera) on a West Sussex/Surrey border. The
hedgerow was smothered with them.

The yellow ones by us have pretty much bean and gone, the red and purple are
just ripening. The boys liked picking them on the way home. School uniform
coated in purple fingerprints, yay ...
Old 25-07-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2011 12:36, mark wrote:
This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps, third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

mark

We have finished all the Czar plums - SW London

Paul

Old 25-07-2011, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2011 12:36, mark wrote:
This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps, third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

mark

Been picking Victoria for about a week. About 6lbs from a fan trained
tree - plenty more to come

Malcolm
Old 26-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance[_6_] View Post
I don't think it matters what the variety is as all plums seem to be
about two to three weeks earlier this year.
Odd, isn't it. So much other stuff is late.
Old 26-07-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote..

mark wrote:

[...]

:-(

I was picking ripe Mirabelles down near Moissac last week, back home I
notice our Cyclamen hederifolium are all flowering and some of our main crop
spuds are going over, and that is early in both cases.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 26-07-2011, 09:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Plums were very much in evidence in the Vale of Evesham today, and the yellow ones on hedgerow trees wee beginning to drop.