Old 27-07-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new bed

We have had our pond filled in and intend to turn it into a flower bed. It
is oval shaped, approx 20 feet long x 15 feet wide and am looking ideas for
planting. My initial thought is to create a rose garden but wonder if I
should include other plants. It is the main focal point from the house so I
am looking for lots of colour over an extended period.

The 20ft length runs North to South and is in an open position. We are in
South Cheshire.

Would appreciate any ideas

Jeanne

Old 27-07-2011, 06:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete[_9_] View Post
We have had our pond filled in and intend to turn it into a flower bed. It
is oval shaped, approx 20 feet long x 15 feet wide and am looking ideas for
planting. My initial thought is to create a rose garden but wonder if I
should include other plants. It is the main focal point from the house so I
am looking for lots of colour over an extended period.

The 20ft length runs North to South and is in an open position. We are in
South Cheshire.

Would appreciate any ideas

Jeanne
Difficult to get "lots of colour over an extended period" with just roses, even repeat flowering ones, so, yes, I would think you'd be better including other things.

How high maintenance do you want this bed to be? That will feed in to your overall approach.

A bed as large as this gives you space to go quite high, eg a small tree and a couple of rambler roses grown up some support - this gives a chance to extend the display by combining them with another climber to give flowers in a different colour or at a different time.

My approach (and this is a personal thing) would be to go for interesting foliage and let the flowers take care of themselves. And I would be looking for colour particularly in winter, when you really will be looking at this bed from the house rather than sitting out in the garden. So I'd be thinking of, say, one of the really nice white barked birch trees or a Prunus serrula with shiny red bark, a good Hamamelis to be covered in yellow flower in early spring (not sure whether this likes too sunny a position).

I'd have bulbs for early colour, while the ground is still relatively bare and not shaded by trees and shrubs. And I'd make sure I had a good berry display for autumn.

Once you've sorted out the miserable bits of the year, then it's a matter of filling in for the summer display., even to the extent if standing pots in any boring bits. The more of the ground you can cover, the less weeding is needed, although I know this is a matter of taste - a lot of people admire a garden of weed free earth dotted with brightly flowered bedding plants.
__________________
Old 28-07-2011, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/07/2011 18:59, kay wrote:
'Pete[_9_ Wrote:
;931266']We have had our pond filled in and intend to turn it into a
[...]

I filled mine in last year, then sowed it with wild flowers, certainly
been a good show this year, don't know about next year yet.;-) worth
thinking about.

Old 28-07-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/07/2011 14:19, Pete wrote:
We have had our pond filled in and intend to turn it into a flower bed.
It is oval shaped, approx 20 feet long x 15 feet wide and am looking

A bit off topic, but I've known a few people do this. It can be an idea
to make a very small (temporary) pond. Next spring you might find a lot
of frogs and newts congregate there in need of rehousing.

--
Best regards,
Ms Fish

4 bed rotation to 3 bed removing brassicas for space? Broadback United Kingdom 1 16-03-2005 06:52 AM
New flower bed Jackee Edible Gardening 6 16-05-2004 05:05 PM
New veg bed Mark United Kingdom 12 14-03-2004 05:09 PM
New veg bed Mark United Kingdom 0 08-03-2004 11:43 AM
Project update: New Bed -- Phase 1 done! JNJ Gardening 0 08-07-2003 04:20 AM