Old 01-05-2003, 07:08 PM
descds

Default Advice On Dry Stone Wall Using Breeze Blocks

Thanks for the advice Simon and the steps you stated seem very easy to
follow so i'll be attempting this as soon as the weather decides to
break

7. Have yourself a beer.

hehehehe _ now i like this step the best

d And why do this without mortar ???? Its quite a big wall and
d i live a long way from a road and getting sand and cement up
d to the plot is extremely hard work. So as i have built a
d small stone dry stone wall before i thought maybe i could do
d the same with these breeze blocks and make a feature of them
d with the extra mortar on them etc. When
d they are finished i could paint them to resemble cotsworld
d stone or something and i think it would look better than a
d normal drab breeze block wall.

If they're concrete blocks it won't be a problem, but true "breeze
blocks" are very light and might not have the mass to stay put
without. Still, at least without mortar you can rebuild it easy enough
if it does fall out

I hope it doesn't fall out because there will be a greenhouse next to
it They must be concrete blocks however as there pretty darn heavy
so i think if i follow what you said i should be ok.

The only worry is that using soil as a kind of mortar !! Would it not
wash away ??? Anyway if you think it would be ok i'll give it a go.
Most of my soil is clay however and i'll def think about using rubble
as a kinda foundation in my trench before proceeding ....

Anyway simon many many thanks for the advice and time you have taken
to reply. Cheers mate and have a beer on me
Old 02-05-2003, 08:20 AM
descds

On 1 May 2003 20:03:29 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
descds wrote:
Thanks for the advice Simon and the steps you stated seem very easy to
follow so i'll be attempting this as soon as the weather decides to
break

Since you say they were taken from an old wall, you are probably OK,
but be aware that the modern 'breeze blocks' break up in next to no
time when they get wet. They are the modern equivalent of clunch.

Even the older and harder ones won't last long if they get wet and
then frozen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mmmmmmmmmmm yes i see you point. I have little chose but to use them
at the moment for the lack of having anything else. But i guess it
would be the same if they were mortar'd and at least they'll be easier
to take down if and when they do crack and crumble ...

I'm uncertain if these are modern breeze blocks or concrete blocks.
They are solid mass grey bricks that i always associated with breeze
blocks but are quite heavy (carrying two is about my lot and that's
not pleasant). Hopefully they will do the job for a number of years as
free is always about the price i enjoy paying for hard features of the
garden Having said that i have just spend yet another £100 + on
plants (God i'm addicted ) which brings the total way over £250 this
year alone ((((( I need help ...

Thanks for the advice ...
Old 02-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
descds wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmmm yes i see you point. I have little chose but to use them
at the moment for the lack of having anything else. But i guess it
would be the same if they were mortar'd and at least they'll be easier
to take down if and when they do crack and crumble ...

Yes.

I'm uncertain if these are modern breeze blocks or concrete blocks.
They are solid mass grey bricks that i always associated with breeze
blocks but are quite heavy (carrying two is about my lot and that's
not pleasant). Hopefully they will do the job for a number of years as
free is always about the price i enjoy paying for hard features of the
garden Having said that i have just spend yet another £100 + on
plants (God i'm addicted ) which brings the total way over £250 this
year alone ((((( I need help ...

The modern ones I am referring to can be cut with a kitchen knife
(though not easily or without blunting the knife) and absorb water
like sponges. The older ones were much harder, sometimes (but not
always) looked as if they were made of concrete Rice Krispies, and
usually (but not always) absorbed water readily (if not like sponges).
In both cases, they can be split dead easily using a hammer and
bolster.

Concrete blocks will resist even a cold chisel, will rarely absorb
water and (as you say) are heavier. But they are rarely made in
large sizes, and you would have difficulty carrying two if they were.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:22 PM
William Tasso

descds wrote:

The only worry is that using soil as a kind of mortar !! Would it not
wash away ???

Not once the weeds have established a fine mesh of root material ;o)

--
William Tasso