Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Blackfly Blast off

I had a mass of blackfly eating a plant, and had run out of spray, so
decided to reduce their numbers temporarily by blasting them with a
hose pointing upwards. When I returned to spray a couple of days
later, there was no more damage and no blackfly. Is this pure
coincidence, or is this really effective at wiping them out?

NT
Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NT" wrote in message
I had a mass of blackfly eating a plant, and had run out of spray, so
decided to reduce their numbers temporarily by blasting them with a
hose pointing upwards. When I returned to spray a couple of days
later, there was no more damage and no blackfly. Is this pure
coincidence, or is this really effective at wiping them out?

NT

Is this pure coincidence,

No

or is this really effective at wiping them out?

Yes.

We have done this before, especially on our Vicki Plum Tree.

Mike

Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2011 21:01, NT wrote:
I had a mass of blackfly eating a plant, and had run out of spray, so
decided to reduce their numbers temporarily by blasting them with a
hose pointing upwards. When I returned to spray a couple of days
later, there was no more damage and no blackfly. Is this pure
coincidence, or is this really effective at wiping them out?

NT

It is really effective. The 'coincidence' is that when water coincides
with their breathing tubes, they drown and die. A few may just get
knocked from the plant to crawl elsewhere, but you'll squirt them next
time.

You don't even have to get the hose out. A spray bottle with water will
be just as effective and waste less water (unless you're irrigating
anyway). A tiny drop of detergent will be even more effective.

It is important to note, though, that this method is just as effective
on beneficial insects like bees, hoverflies, ladybirds, et al. :@(

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Aug 12, 10:47*pm, Spider wrote:
On 12/08/2011 21:01, NT wrote:

I had a mass of blackfly eating a plant, and had run out of spray, so
decided to reduce their numbers temporarily by blasting them with a
hose pointing upwards. When I returned to spray a couple of days
later, there was no more damage and no blackfly. Is this pure
coincidence, or is this really effective at wiping them out?

NT

It is really effective. *The 'coincidence' is that when water coincides
with their breathing tubes, they drown and die. *A few may just get
knocked from the plant to crawl elsewhere, but you'll squirt them next
time.

yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking.

You don't even have to get the hose out. *A spray bottle with water will
be just as effective and waste less water (unless you're irrigating
anyway). *A tiny drop of detergent will be even more effective.

thanks, might try that

It is important to note, though, that this method is just as effective
on beneficial insects like bees, hoverflies, ladybirds, et al. :@(

yes, when the bug count is mild I just leave them to get eaten, but
this time the plant was being destroyed quickly.

NT

ripening fruit causing bud blast. kenty ;-\) Orchids 2 27-01-2004 01:02 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 3 01-12-2003 01:22 PM
bud blast? J Fortuna Orchids 0 30-11-2003 09:41 PM
Bromiliads, Phal bud blast and ethelyne gas Al Orchids 2 24-09-2003 11:02 PM
BLAST FISHING IN VIETNAM jbjunior sci.agriculture 0 16-05-2003 08:56 PM