Old 15-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered User

Default Project advice needed - create a flower bed of orange white and green

Hi guys,
im new here and new to gardening, would really appreciate your help in helping me out on a project i want to undertake.

Aim: I want to create a flower bed represnting the India flag. Orange White and Green with central Blue circle.

Time: It needs to flower around August 2012

Space: I want to fit it in a space 2m x 1m

Size: I would really like flowers that stay at a low-level with a thick coverage so the pattern is easily noticeable.

Would really appreciate any advice here, the main thing would be the actual flowers.

Thanks for your time, hoping you can help.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2011 20:59, tauran wrote:
Hi guys,
im new here and new to gardening, would really appreciate your help in
helping me out on a project i want to undertake.

Aim: I want to create a flower bed represnting the India flag. Orange
White and Green with central Blue circle.

Time: It needs to flower around August 2012

Space: I want to fit it in a space 2m x 1m

Size: I would really like flowers that stay at a low-level with a thick
coverage so the pattern is easily noticeable.

My suggestions would be:

Blue, White as trailing lobelia
Orange as calendula (or low growing French marigolds)

Green as thyme or a low growing hebe

Chosen on the basis of being easy to grow.

Would really appreciate any advice here, the main thing would be the
actual flowers.

Thanks for your time, hoping you can help.

Doubtless others will have suggestions. Quite a few people in our
village are planning to do red, white and blue plantings next year.

Any suggestions for a foolproof low growing red flower?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-08-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-15 23:04:41 +0100, Martin Brown
said:

[...]

There's a dark red nasturtium called something like Red Velvet. There
are some good bright red Pelargoniums and some of the verbenas are red.

I was thinking about some of the sempervivums like cv 'Red Devil'. I
don't know of any that are true bright scarlet red though.

Actually we might as well broaden the question out into all the colours
of the rainbow and low growing compact floriferous plants that are
either easy to grow (preferably from seed) or cheap to buy. The ideal
plant should give nearly solid colour at the peak of its display and
last for a decent length of time (so Day Lilies are out).

Sedum acre 'Golden Queen' would count as bright yellow flowers in summer
and lime green yellow foliage in winter.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-08-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2011 12:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 23:04:41 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Any suggestions for a foolproof low growing red flower?

Salvia splendens and its cultivars, such as Scarlet King?

Yes. I reckon that is on the money. Nice bright red easy to grow.

Any offers for other rainbow colours?

Regards,
Martin Brown