Old 16-08-2011, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on repotting.

Our Cosco store is selling some terrific olive trees at the moment.

We now want to put ours in a bigger pot than it came in. Would a plastic or
earthernware pot suit it best? (from the water retention point of view,
rather than the look of it).

It looks like its been planted in ordinary peat type compost. We thought we
would replant it in John Innes No3.

Would you say that's the best soil for it please?

Old 16-08-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:57:10 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

Our Cosco store is selling some terrific olive trees at the moment.

We now want to put ours in a bigger pot than it came in. Would a plastic or
earthernware pot suit it best? (from the water retention point of view,
rather than the look of it).

It looks like its been planted in ordinary peat type compost. We thought we
would replant it in John Innes No3.

Would you say that's the best soil for it please?

Yes, I think I'd use JI, but maybe no 2. I'd certainly use a terra
cotta pot as I think the roots would get too wet in a plastic one. It
depends where you are going to keep it, inside or out.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-08-2011, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our Cosco store is selling some terrific olive trees at the moment.

We now want to put ours in a bigger pot than it came in. Would a plastic
or
earthernware pot suit it best? (from the water retention point of view,
rather than the look of it).

It looks like its been planted in ordinary peat type compost. We thought
we
would replant it in John Innes No3.

Would you say that's the best soil for it please?

Yes, I think I'd use JI, but maybe no 2. I'd certainly use a terra
cotta pot as I think the roots would get too wet in a plastic one. It
depends where you are going to keep it, inside or out.

Pam in Bristol

Pam thanks. We actually went out and bought some No 3. What might we do to
make it more like No 2 ? Add compost or add sand ?

We intended to keep it outside. It came with a label which said it was
alright outside to minus 2 degrees C.

Since it's too big to bring inside the house on the coldest periods, we are
wondering if we stood it right next to the house (we are south facing) and
threw some fleece over the leaves, would that give it sufficient protection
against our winters in North London would you say?

Old 17-08-2011, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

See bottom of this page:
http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/olives.html

This will give more info:
http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/GrowingGuideOlives.htm

--

Jeff
Old 17-08-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:42:21 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Dave, No 3 will be OK, but I'd add a little sand or fine grit. It
needs good drainage. Just my opinion, see what others say.
I had a small olive outside for several years but last winter killled
it. Against a s. facing wall should be good, but if it's really cold
have some fleece handy to wrap up thewhole plant and some bubble
plastic to wrap the pot. You don't want the soil and roots to freeze.
Good luck with it. I've got a new one now and must follow my own
advice!

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave East View Post
Our Cosco store is selling some terrific olive trees at the moment.

We now want to put ours in a bigger pot than it came in. Would a plastic or
earthernware pot suit it best? (from the water retention point of view,
rather than the look of it).

It looks like its been planted in ordinary peat type compost. We thought we
would replant it in John Innes No3.

Would you say that's the best soil for it please?
Hi Dave East, further to other good advice, if its looking healthy at the moment, I'd be inclined not to re-pot it until next spring. Regarding compost JI3 will be fine but add about 1/3rd (by volume) of B and Q mulitipurpose compost and dont be tempted to put it into too large a pot, they dont like being overpotted, just a couple of sizes bigger at the most. I buy loads in from Portugal and they survived -12 oC as i kept them very dry, so under existing trees or the eaves of the house will be fine but as has been said, dont let the roots freeze thats fatal !
Lannerman.
Old 18-08-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:42:21 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Thanks again. The other thing i'm wondering about is that we have some
growmore granules. Is it alright to throw a handful in amongst the roots
when repotting?

I know its a *slow release* normally put on top of the soil, but would it be
too concentrated to throw down inside the pot amongst the roots?

Old 19-08-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:28:51 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't add any fertiliser at this end of the year,
Feeding produces new sappy growth which might not like a cold winter.
(Not another, heaven forbid!)
There's plenty of feed in your new compost, so feed in spring. It
will do better if fed sparsely at this time of year.

Pam in Bristol