Old 20-08-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Blight!

wrote:
But if I throw it onto the ground, surely it will then overwinter in any
leftover bits of plant, such as tomato seeds that may grow, or existing
potato plants that tend to hang around in the flower beds.

They will probably have been exposed, anyway.

Well, no. Well. Maybe. But not 'obviously'. The blight is /inside/ the
greenhouse, in someone else's garden. A neighbour, admittedly, but it's not
a given that it's got to be in my garden as well as hers.

But I wasn't saying
that it is a good idea to leave it on the ground - it isn't - but
it isn't worth making a fuss over. My real point was that, if it
has not got down to the tubers, removing all the plant material and
waiting a while would mean that you could replant with one of the
Solanaceae for the winter, with only a small chance of it carrying
over via the growbag. If it has got down to them, you need to remove
EVERY tuber, no matter how small, so it's not worth it - but that
doesn't usually happen if it is caught early.

Ok. But this is on tomatoes, not potatoes.

The point is that you have no guarantees, anyway, so taking extreme
efforts to avoid a relatively unlikely problem isn't justified.
But I know that that attitude is rare among non-statisticians :-(

I'm not making extreme effort. I'm just thinking it's a good idea to
dispose sensibly, rather htan onto the garden.

Because the UK forms don't produce resistant spores. Fungi have
more lifestyles than you would believe possible and, anyway, it's
not a fungus :-)

ok.

Is it available to buy? Nick was under the impression it was one of the
limited or removed availability products. (My Nick, not you :-)

Nah. You will rarely find it in 'garden centres' because the
manufacturers of expensive and ecologically nasty toxins want you
to buy their stuff instead. Try Tuckers.

ok.

Blimey, that's a bit ... kind of specific, but also non-specific, if that
makes sense! What does it do? Some kind of hormonal imbalance mutatey
thing?

Nothing so harmless :-( It's teratogenic, and apparently can cause
babies to be born without eyes. I am unlikely to be affected, being
too old for child-bearing and, er, male.

*nod* I did think it could be about child-baring age, but 60 is, really, a
bit old to worry about that too much. Hence thinking it must be hormonal-
based. BUt yes. Not nice.
Old 20-08-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Are you sure it is blight? It might not be.

Nick is now undecided about /all/ of it being blight, but I'm pretty sure
that the first plant is (unless I've been mistaking something else for it
for many years!!), which maeks it quite likely that it all is, I guess.

Old 21-08-2011, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:9ba6u1Fm0mU2
@mid.individual.net:

Baz wrote:
Are you sure it is blight? It might not be.

Nick is now undecided about /all/ of it being blight, but I'm pretty sure
that the first plant is (unless I've been mistaking something else for it
for many years!!), which maeks it quite likely that it all is, I guess.

Well, I am not an expert by anyones imagination, but from your origional
post you say that in your greenhouse you are only just getting ripe
tomatoes. Could it be watering/feeding or lack of? Ventilation? Not blight?

I have one of those crappy little polythene greenhouses with 3 Gardeners
Delight plants in and have had tomatoes from June.
The rest are outdoors and have been neglected but still have had tomatoes
ripening, not many but they are there.

If it were me in your situation I would take off the best trusses and put
them in a dark place, a drawer to ripen and take off all the affected
leaves on the plants and see what happens. What have you to lose, now you
are convinced it is blight?

Whichever way I hope its going to turn out right for you.
Baz
Old 21-08-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Nick is now undecided about /all/ of it being blight, but I'm pretty sure
that the first plant is (unless I've been mistaking something else for it
for many years!!), which maeks it quite likely that it all is, I guess.

Well, I am not an expert by anyones imagination, but from your origional
post you say that in your greenhouse you are only just getting ripe
tomatoes. Could it be watering/feeding or lack of? Ventilation? Not blight?

I think that that is also happening, and it's exacerbating it, but no, I've
had a look around and there are /definitely/ 2 confirmed blight cases - one
in greenhouse 1, 1 in the garden, and /possibly/ one in greenhouse 2. The
others I'm not 100% convinced about, but I suspect they are going to turn
blighty. (the one in the garden had gotten all the way to the fruit, and
it's very obvious once it's showing there!)

I have one of those crappy little polythene greenhouses with 3 Gardeners
Delight plants in and have had tomatoes from June.
The rest are outdoors and have been neglected but still have had tomatoes
ripening, not many but they are there.

My GD are just starting to ripen.

If it were me in your situation I would take off the best trusses and put
them in a dark place, a drawer to ripen and take off all the affected
leaves on the plants and see what happens. What have you to lose, now you
are convinced it is blight?

I'm still undecided what to do, I'm thinking maybe cuttnig out the affected
plants completely, and hoping for the best. I've had late blight before
now, but not usually till October or November! The fruit off blighted
plants isn't worth keeping, cos it tastes vile. :-(

Whichever way I hope its going to turn out right for you.

Thanks. It's not looking hopeful for anyone round here atm. I have to say,
bligh****ch didn't do much good! I keep getting warnings about cases by my
parents', but not down here!!
Old 21-08-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

:-(

Whichever way I hope its going to turn out right for you.

Thanks. It's not looking hopeful for anyone round here atm. I have
to say, bligh****ch didn't do much good! I keep getting warnings
about cases by my parents', but not down here!!

Well then, good luck next year. You are going to need luck and a good dose
of chemical science.

Baz