Old 31-08-2011, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 2011-08-30 20:09:14 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 28/08/2011 22:36, John Williamson wrote:
Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench
on others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

AKA someone indulging in a perfectly legal activity.

Exactly. I don't see why he cannot smoke in his own garden. How far will
this no-smoking thing go?
It's ridiculous.

Let's be fair, that was never the original premise and this thread has become
unhelpful and silly in that respect. The OP never asked for a way to stop
someone smoking on their own premises. He or She asked for suggestions to
divert the flow of smoke from *their* garden.

Well said.

The OP was looking for a way not to have to suffer his neighbour's smoke. He
didn't suggest he wanted to stop his neighbour smoking.

Old 31-08-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:02:12 +0100, Hugh - Was Invisible
wrote:

snip

One of my brothers in law did not smoke. He was a professional guitar
player. He died from lung cancer in his fifties after playing in
countless smoky places.

He probably had a shit most days; that does not mean it caused his lung cancer.
Old 31-08-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

One of my brothers in law did not smoke. He was a professional guitar
player. He died from lung cancer in his fifties after playing in
countless smoky places.

He probably had a shit most days; that does not mean it caused his lung cancer.

The overwhelming majority of lung cancer occurs in smokers. The link is
so high it would be foolish to suggest that passive smoking does not
cause a lot more.

I was surprised to note that research links smoking and passive smoking
with hearing loss. So my 45 a day habit might explain why my hearing is
so poor. Hopefully I gave up long enough ago that my risks of lung
cancer and heart disease are receding. Then again I have spent a lot of
time in smoky offices, pubs and clubs so perhaps I had better make my
funeral arrangements.
Old 31-08-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My wifes hearing is crap she smokes MUCH less than I do.

She used to dance to punk bands though. I stood at the back of rick
bands listening to the sound balance.

Then she adopted headphones plugged into a computer.

Now all she can hear is headphones plugged into a computer. Doesn't hear
a damned thing I say anyway.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-30 20:09:14 +0100, "Christina Websell"

--

You can't, can you? They are perfectly entitled to smoke in their house or
their garden.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 22:50:25 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

You can't, can you? They are perfectly entitled to smoke in their house
or their garden.

You miss the point in your anxiety to defend the habit. The OP never said
they were not entitled, you stupid woman. They merely asked if there was
a feasible way of keeping away from themselves.

You will not die of it if you smell their smoke. It's got ridiculous.

Again, your smoker's agenda is clouding the issue. They don't *like* the
smoke; that is the problem.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 22:50:25 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

You can't, can you? They are perfectly entitled to smoke in their house
or their garden.

You miss the point in your anxiety to defend the habit. The OP never said
they were not entitled, you stupid woman. They merely asked if there was
a feasible way of keeping away from themselves.

You will not die of it if you smell their smoke. It's got ridiculous.

Again, your smoker's agenda is clouding the issue. They don't *like* the
smoke; that is the problem.

I wonder how many smokers would complain if their neighbour put the dog loo
or compost heap next to their patio/kitchen window.
Neither will kill them.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I wonder how many smokers would complain if their neighbour put the dog
loo or compost heap next to their patio/kitchen window. Neither will
kill them.

I don't complain when neighbours have a bonfire or barbecue. It's called
living together in harmony.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I wonder how many smokers would complain if their neighbour put the dog
loo or compost heap next to their patio/kitchen window. Neither will
kill them.

I don't complain when neighbours have a bonfire or barbecue. It's called
living together in harmony.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW

I don't smoke but I do like a drink so the residue from my habbit is
urine. Following the smokers arguement they would not object if I poured
urine all over them would they?

Robbie

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roberts wrote:
I don't smoke but I do like a drink so the residue from my
habbit is urine. Following the smokers arguement they would not
object if I poured urine all over them would they?

Perhaps your neighbours wouldn't. But if I lived next door to you (or
them) I'd move.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *