Old 27-08-2011, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Something has had me goldfish?

We have a small pond which until recently had seven goldfish in
it, we have this year in particular built it up with plants to add
coverage and added a brick dry wall edging to replace the old cane
wall we originally had and added lilies which covers two thirds of
the pond which is about 2 feet deep at one end and about eighteen
inches at the other. We have also erected two pergolas, one
directly over the pond which has fine netting over the top to
discourage the odd heron etc and the other as a seating area.

We had until a few days ago seven goldfish, we only now have two
left, I had made a cover over the pond which was plastic netting
attached to garden cane to protect the fish but this year because
of the extra coverage of plants I removed the cover (it won't fit
now anyway due to the overgrown plants) but there had been
sufficient cover to protect them, or so I thought, the linked
photo's below will show very little flight path for a heron or
even a seagull to land and takeoff but we still lost five fish
over two days.

Any idea what might have nabbed the fish, or do you think it
possible for a flying predator to take the fish as there may not
have been sufficient coverage after all?

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/pond1.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/pond2.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/pond3.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/pond4.jpg

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 27-08-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

I put over EIGHTY (80) fish in my daughter and son in law's pond. None there
now. And none floated to the surface ...... dead :-((

Rooks?
Crows?
Magpies?
Foxes?
Cats?
Red Squirrels?
..
..
The Heron which does the circuit?????

They have the lot! :-((

Mike

Old 27-08-2011, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 27, 2:56*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

I put over EIGHTY (80) fish in my daughter and son in law's pond. None there
now. And none floated to the surface ...... dead :-((

Rooks?
Crows?
Magpies?
Foxes?
Cats?
Red Squirrels?
.
.
The Heron which does the circuit?????

They have the lot! *:-((

Mike

I am supprised you can ever see them with all tyhat plant cover.
Looks as if a heron could stand outside and fish in quite easily, but
have you thought it could be a grass snake, they are partial to fish.
Old 27-08-2011, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 2:56 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

From the Wirral Peninsula.
[...]

.................................................. ....

In our case never seen any grass snakes. A couple of acres of landscaped
gardens with well mown lawns. However, there is an Island in the middle of
the pond where Ducks, Moorhens and Coots have their nests and raise their
chicks, grass snakes like eggs don't they?

Mike

Old 27-08-2011, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen wrote..

[...]

Herons don't land in water, they land on land and walk into the water. So
you probably have your answer. To stop them a couple of strands of fine
fishing line at leg height strung tight around the pond should do the job.
It frightens them when they trip on something they haven't seen.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 27-08-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote:

In our case never seen any grass snakes.

Doesn't mean they're not there - they're stealthy little devils!

A couple of acres of landscaped gardens with well mown lawns.
However, there is an Island in the middle of the pond where
Ducks, Moorhens and Coots have their nests and raise their chicks, grass
snakes like eggs don't they?

Grass snakes much prefer frogs, but will readily take fish instead. I've
seen more grass snakes that I've seen frogs these past few years.

I don't know whether grass snakes take small eggs, but duck's, moorhen's and
coot's eggs would be too big for them to handle.
--
Interloper

Old 27-08-2011, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/...mple/pond4.jpg

Stephen.

--http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Heron. Otter. Mink. Fox. Cat.

Herons like to land on the ground and wade in. Won't land on water.
Probably happens early morning.
Put down chalk dust & look for footprints for clues.
Old 27-08-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 27, 5:29*pm, "Interloper" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote:

In our case never seen any grass snakes.

Doesn't mean they're not there - they're stealthy little devils!

A couple of acres of landscaped gardens with well mown lawns.
However, there is an Island in the middle of the pond where
Ducks, Moorhens and Coots have their nests and raise their chicks, grass
snakes like eggs don't they?

Grass snakes much prefer frogs, but will readily take fish instead. *I've
seen more grass snakes that I've seen frogs these past few years.

I don't know whether grass snakes take small eggs, but duck's, moorhen's and
coot's eggs would be too big for them to handle.
--
Interloper

I have grass sankes. All my sticklebacks do seem to have disappeared.
Old 27-08-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote:

I have grass snakes. All my sticklebacks do seem to have disappeared.

Sticklebacks - fascinating fish; I haven't seen a stickleback for many
years. They have a wonderful defence against predators determined to eat
them. They rigidly erect their spines which stick into the predator's mouth
tissue, making it something of a challenge to swallow them. This usually
results in the stickleback being spat back out to swim again.
--
Interloper

Old 27-08-2011, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Dave Hill wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I am supprised you can ever see them with all that plant cover.
Looks as if a heron could stand outside and fish in quite easily,
but have you thought it could be a grass snake, they are partial
to fish.

They say you should have at least one third of the water area
covered but the outer plants have gone a bit mad.

I've not seen any snakes in our area at all ever, but that doesn't
mean we don't have any.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.

Old 27-08-2011, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Interloper" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

In our case never seen any grass snakes.

Doesn't mean they're not there - they're stealthy little devils!

A couple of acres of landscaped gardens with well mown lawns.
However, there is an Island in the middle of the pond where
Ducks, Moorhens and Coots have their nests and raise their chicks, grass
snakes like eggs don't they?

Grass snakes much prefer frogs, but will readily take fish instead. I've
seen more grass snakes that I've seen frogs these past few years.

I don't know whether grass snakes take small eggs, but duck's, moorhen's and
coot's eggs would be too big for them to handle.

Some of the goldfish we lost where about 8inches long, are they
not too big for a grass snake to take?

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 27-08-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message

On 2011-08-27 14:46:30 +0100, said:

[...]

A heron landed on top of a hedge here once, hopped down and strolled up
to the pond. I say 'once' as in 'once that we saw'. A heron could
easily land near your pond. We do find that when a heron has been near
the pond the fish will often 'disappear' into the plants and depths for
a day or so.

A neighbour said he lost his fish (a while ago now) due to a heron
but his pond is left wide open with absolutely no coverage.
Our two remaining fish are traumatised lurking at the bottom of
the pond.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 27-08-2011, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Stephen wrote..

[...]

I'll try that method tomorrow thanks,

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 27-08-2011, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
harry wrote:

On Aug 27, 2:46*pm, wrote:
[...]

From the Wirral Peninsula.
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Heron. Otter. Mink. Fox. Cat.

Herons like to land on the ground and wade in. Won't land on water.
Probably happens early morning.
Put down chalk dust & look for footprints for clues.

That is an interesting method, I'll dig out some talcum powder,
don't have any french chalk lying about ATM.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 27-08-2011, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our two remaining fish are traumatised lurking at the bottom
of the pond.

That's a typical indication of a heron having been in your pool.
--
Interloper