Old 03-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Steve

Default Something had my bean leaves for lunch

I have never had a problem before with things eating my bean plants, aside
from an occasional hole here, a nibble there. But today I went out and
found nothing but veins left on three of my smaller bean plants and my
watermelon plant.

I rarely use any pesticide, but I'm beginning to think I might need to.
Anyone know what sort of bug might have attacked and what a good treatment
would be?

I did notice a lot of ants running around on the ground near there... do
ants eat leaves? I couldn't find any sign of aphids and didn't see any
caterpillars.

--Steve
Old 04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
WARRENRN1

I have never had a problem before with things eating my bean plants, aside
from an occasional hole here, a nibble there. But today I went out and
found nothing but veins left on three of my smaller bean plants and my
watermelon plant.

i have had the same problem for a couple of years.... one day the plants are
healthy and growing well, the next day, nothing but lace work for leaves....
my wife went to the local homecenter and asked..... while i can't remember the
name of the bug that causes this type of problem, they did recommend a soap
insecticide:
SAFER (brand name)
Insecticidal Soap...
i bought it at Home Depot... once when the plant leaves were just poking thru
the ground and then after they are about 6 inches tall...... and then every
3rd or 4 weeks..... so far, it has worked well.... leaves are dark green and
climbing up the trellis....
hope this helps.....
Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Tom Engel

Sounds like Rabbits to me - or possibly deer. Us a heavy dose of Hinder or
Liquid fence on veggies to keep both at bay. Randy

Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Agent Friday

(WARRENRN1) wrote in
:

[...]

Guess what, found out what was eating them-- Earwigs!

There was no sign of any pests during the day, so I went out after dark
with a flashlight, and there were scads of earwigs ALL OVER my smaller
plants, just feasting away. So I ran in and grabbed the soap spray I had
already bought and doused 'em. So far, it seems to have worked. They did
not like the stuff and seemed to scatter. Used some household poison on
them as they were running away. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input, Warren.

--Steve