Old 05-09-2011, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Load of manure

We have just had a load of rotted horse manure dropped off. A ton? I don't
know. But it is about 6'* 6' *2' on the ground.

The last time I had this, last year, I chucked it all over and could not
see any significant areas of production.

My question is where to chuck it.

I have my own compost for tomatoes, and have always had a good lot apart
from this year.(neglected them too much) so it won't go there.

I grow mainly:
Carrots
Swede
Brassicas
Potatoes
Parsnips
Beans (broad, runner, french)
Peas

The thing is that it looks like a huge pile, but when it comes to it all on
the soil it hardly covers any of the plots from past experience. And of
course it is all down to money, can I afford to buy another load? In fact
it is free, but transport is expensive and the stable has done this first
load for free, I would be a git if I refused the second, payable load, so I
have paid for it, and when it comes I hope there is room on the drive. I
want to spread or chuck this first load before the second one appears.

Any suggestions will be welcome. and yes it is free from weedkiller.

Baz
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

I would put it where the potatoes and the beans are going to be next year.

Steve

Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:54:57 GMT, Baz wrote:

[...]

You lucky chap. Round here the stables use so much sawdust and cruder
wood stuff that any manure from them needs to be composted for six
months or more before it's usable (and that's after it's spent six
months in their own rotting pile). And what they say is "rotted"
usually isn't - you know, that lovely earthy smell and almost black
colour are both strangely absent and the delivery really stinks like
s***! After a delivery, anyone within a mile of the local allotments
hopes the wind's blowing the other way . I had to stop getting
delivery at home because the neighbours couldn't stand it.

Though playing safe by keeping it away from anything now in the ground
(unless you're certain how well it's rotted) I'd go in the order of
where you plan to plant:

First: Potatoes
Second: Brassicas
Third: Beans
Fourth: Peas

Can't remember why, but I've always kept manure away from carrots and
parsnips after loads of educating from the allotment sages in my
youth.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2011 14:17, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

But not where the carrots parsnips swedes and brassicas are going;
roots will fork and brassicas will get top heavy.
Janet

Dig a goodly trench where you are going to plant your runner beans,
place a thick layer in the trench, cover with some soil, keep the level
below that of the surrounding ground, if not yet, by the time you sow
next year it will be well rotted. The resulting depression will make it
easy to water well once the beans are growing.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

"" Dig a goodly trench where you are going to plant your runner beans, LINE
THE TRENCH WITH GOOD THICKNESS OF NEWSPAPER TO CONSERVE WATER, place a thick
layer in the trench, ON THE PAPER,......""

Mike

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

[...]

I think mine is properly rotted. I have the stable manager's word on this.
I am old fashioned, but I take a promise as a promise that I like it all on
paper. If it all goes pearshaped, I have it. Or it has proved so over the
years if you deal with reputable and trusted firms.

We are clearing this first load onto the potato bit/patch now as we have a
cuppa between barrows. All of the first load, and it won't go far enough I
don't think, but it is the biggest patch. Just have to see won't we.

Thanks
Baz
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:09:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

We are clearing this first load onto the potato bit/patch now as we have a
cuppa between barrows. All of the first load, and it won't go far enough I
don't think, but it is the biggest patch. Just have to see won't we.

Thanks
Baz

A cuppa between barrows? 6x6x2 is an awful lot of barrows so that's an
awful lot of cuppas.What goes in comes out and Mr Flowerdew says that
it's only the first of the day that's worth putting on the compost
heap

AFAIK, deciding whether the manure is rotted enough is a simple case
of straw and smell. If you can see a lot of straw in the pile or it
smells lilke horse s*** it's not properly rotted. But that should
only be a problem in the spring. At this time of year, when you'll
probably leave it to do the job through the winter, just spread it up
to 3 inches thick over the soil surface and leave it. Fork it in
around early December.

You must have some potato patch. At 3 inches thick over the soil your
first 6x6x2 feet pile should cover about 250 square feet. At more than
3 inches thick, I'd suggest you're overdoing things a bit.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 5, 6:32*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
[...]

Only line your bean trench with paper if you are on fast draining
shallow soil, otherwisw forget it, shred it and add it to the manure,
it will do much more good.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

[...]

We use a 4 year rotation and the annual manure goes on what will be the
potato bed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I mislead you, it is a tipping of about 6' round and 2' high, a typical
tip. Conical(ish) for want of a better word.

And if we want a cuppa between barrows who are you to criticise? Kidding.

I didn't count but there were lots of barrowloads and still some before
dark, and the potato bed is still only half covered.

Midnight and buggered now.

Baz

Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 5, 1:54*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

Don't worry. Just dig it in as the ground is cleared of crops. It has
come at exactly the right time. By next year it will all have rotted
down, you won't see a thing left.
Improves the soil structure no end, you can't get enough of it, esp if
your soil is light.
I get all mine for free and free transport,a neighbour has a huge
trailer which we fill up.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

Don't worry. Just dig it in as the ground is cleared of crops. It has
come at exactly the right time. By next year it will all have rotted
down, you won't see a thing left.
Improves the soil structure no end, you can't get enough of it, esp if
your soil is light.
I get all mine for free and free transport,a neighbour has a huge
trailer which we fill up.

We have decided to exceed the budget and have a few more loads. What the
hell! We are only alive once. We are paying, you are a lucky so and so.

Good luck to you, harry.

Baz
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 6, 4:00*pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

Don't worry. Just dig it in as the ground is cleared of crops. It has
come at exactly the right time. *By next year it will all have rotted
down, you won't see a thing left.
Improves the soil structure no end, you can't get enough of it, esp if
your soil is light.
I get all mine for free and free transport,a neighbour has a huge
trailer which we fill up.

We have decided to exceed the budget and have a few more loads. What the
hell! We are only alive once. We are paying, you are a lucky so and so.

Good luck to you, harry.

Baz

Heh heh. We have lots of rich little horsey girlies round here, their
fathers spoil them rotten with horse riding. There are three places
within a quarter of a mile. all desperate to get rid of their hoss
shit.

Next Spring (unless you have a chalk/limestone soil) you need to lime
it. But NOT when the manure is fresh on.
You can get a lifetime supply from the builder's merchant very cheap
(50Kg bag). Needs to be kept dry. Powerful stuff don't go too mad
with it.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:48:41 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Sep 6, 4:00*pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

[...]

But don't lime the spud patch - they love acid.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Sep 5, 1:54*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

You've got a big pile of number 2s and you're asking who knows who
where you should stick it. You are brave.

NT