Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment waiting lists

Just been having a look at a neighbouring site's waiting list. It goes
back to 2004 (!!!!) and lots of the phone numbers are out of date...

I assume the person from 2004 doesn't actually want a plot anymore but
has been left on in case they change their mind. (Have had a couple of
people say this - that they want to be on the waiting list but don't
want a plot right now. I assume it's because it's not looking like a
plot right now...)

What do you do on your allotment site to keep the waiting list up to
date?

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 5, 4:05*pm, mogga wrote:
Just been having a look at a neighbouring site's waiting list. It goes
back to 2004 (!!!!) *and lots of the phone numbers are out of date...

I assume the person from 2004 doesn't actually want a plot anymore but
has been left on in case they change their mind. (Have had a couple of
people say this - that they want to be on the waiting list but don't
want a plot right now. I assume it's because it's not looking like a
plot right now...)

What do you do on your allotment site to keep the waiting list up to
date?

--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Allotments are an expensive hobby. They have stupid rents, I feel sure
most people must lose money not save money.
Why not see if you can use a neighbour's garden on a share cropping
basis?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post

Allotments are an expensive hobby. They have stupid rents, I feel sure
most people must lose money not save money.
Why not see if you can use a neighbour's garden on a share cropping
basis?
That's never as easy as it sounds. You start off on an informal basis, because it seems unfriendly to have a contract between neighbours. Then a bit further down the line you start getting niggles - they don't think you're weeding often enough, they feel you're growing too many courgettes and not enough beans, you think they've taken more than their fair share of strawberries, they want to to use some of the ground you've lovingly manured for the past 3 years and and plant a magnolia on it. And it all ends in tears.

You may be paying a lot for an allotment, but part of the benefit is a clear contract, so everyone knows what is expected of them.

A quick Google suggests average rents for allotments are about £25. I don't know what they are in your area, but £25 is reasonable compared with your other costs, seeds, compost etc.
__________________
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
That's never as easy as it sounds. You start off on an informal basis, because it seems unfriendly to have a contract between neighbours. Then a bit further down the line you start getting niggles - they don't think you're weeding often enough, they feel you're growing too many courgettes and not enough beans, you think they've taken more than their fair share of strawberries, they want to to use some of the ground you've lovingly manured for the past 3 years and and plant a magnolia on it. And it all ends in tears.
.
... however:
Garden sharing: growing your own vegetables on someone else's patch | Money | The Guardian
__________________
Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Allotments are an expensive hobby. They have stupid rents, I feel sure
most people must lose money not save money.

Glasgow Council allotment rents are ?32 per year, concession ?26.. one I
pass comes with smart new fences, sheds and greenhouses provided by the
council. 50 p a week must be the bargain of the century!

I agree, the retn on an allotment is peanuts compared to the other costs
involved (especially if you factor in time at a minimum wage!)

Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote in...

Janet wrote:
Allotments are an expensive hobby. They have stupid rents, I feel sure
most people must lose money not save money.

Glasgow Council allotment rents are ?32 per year, concession ?26.. one I
pass comes with smart new fences, sheds and greenhouses provided by the
council. 50 p a week must be the bargain of the century!

I agree, the retn on an allotment is peanuts compared to the other costs
involved (especially if you factor in time at a minimum wage!)

Our rents are about £10 per rod so £100 pa for a normal plot, concessions
are 50%.
No toilets, grass roads are cut by two plot holders, water tanks are
provided.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:05:48 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Vicky wrote in...

Janet wrote:
Allotments are an expensive hobby. They have stupid rents, I feel sure
most people must lose money not save money.

Glasgow Council allotment rents are ?32 per year, concession ?26.. one I
pass comes with smart new fences, sheds and greenhouses provided by the
council. 50 p a week must be the bargain of the century!

I agree, the retn on an allotment is peanuts compared to the other costs
involved (especially if you factor in time at a minimum wage!)

Our rents are about £10 per rod so £100 pa for a normal plot, concessions
are 50%.
No toilets, grass roads are cut by two plot holders, water tanks are
provided.

Ours are £9 p.a. having recently gone up £1 a year for the last 3 but
we plan no further increase for a while.
We have water but that's about the lot for facilities.
Waiting list of about 40. Some plots are divided in 2 so that more
people can have some growing space.
Our treasurer likes sitting on money so we have about £6000 in the
bank but no toilet, not even a composting one. However as I'm having
to give up, it won't bother me any more!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pam Moore[_2_

Ours are £9 p.a. having recently gone up £1 a year for the last 3 but
we plan no further increase for a while.
We have water but that's about the lot for facilities.
Waiting list of about 40. Some plots are divided in 2 so that more
people can have some growing space.
Our treasurer likes sitting on money so we have about £6000 in the
bank but no toilet, not even a composting one. However as I'm having
to give up, it won't bother me any more!!!
When I had an allotment, we had no facilities. If you were lucky, you could dip for water in a ditch nearby, but that was it.
__________________
Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 10:40:11 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:05:48 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Vicky wrote in...

Janet wrote:
[...]

OMG thats a lot of 9pa!

Do you not have meetings to discuss/vote on things?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Historical Seed Lists Ray Warner Edible Gardening 1 15-07-2004 05:02 AM
Historical Seed Lists Ray Warner United Kingdom 0 14-07-2004 12:26 PM
Garden Type E lists Starlord Gardening 0 30-01-2004 05:13 PM
Garden Type E lists Starlord Gardening 0 30-01-2004 04:51 PM
Trade lists GrlIntrpted Orchids 11 25-09-2003 11:46 PM