Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Victorian garden plants?

I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and
really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have
any
ideas?
Blessings, Angela

Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and
really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have
any
ideas?

I decided on a Victorian garden for my Queen Anne Victorian - and after
looking into what they actually prized, I decided to abandon that idea just
go with more subtle stuff like daylilies and roses.

The Victorian period was a long period - and the gardens had a lot of what
we today would consider garish - anything big, ugly, odd, bright and bold,
exotic, and no subtlety and in-your-face would be a prized garden piece in
Victorian times. The louder and the more out of place, the more the proper
Victorian loved it.

Blessings, Angela

Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 1, 12:21 pm, "
wrote:
I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and
really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have
any
ideas?
Blessings, Angela

The Victorian Era was the beginning of the great plant explorations,
and many
new things were introduced. The Victorians had a great variety of
plants,
many came from China and all over the world.
About the 'romantic' part of your question: there was a language of
flowers,
in which a flower carried a definite message if sent to a lover or
prospective
lover.
Pansy ( 'to think' pensee (sp?) meant To think of Love. It was
considered
a bad luck flower to send to a man, however.
Bell flower was a symbol of constancy and kindness
Daisy was a symbol of innocence
Forget me Not means friendship, loving remembrance and fidelity
This is all in a book "Garden Flower Folklore" by Laura C. Martin
Maybe your library has a copy
Emilie