Old 13-09-2011, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice for Bamboo and Minimum Maintenance

Neighbour has just taken over house with small garden with over three years
of rampant *all over the garden* Bamboo growth to deal with. Has had the
garden cleared and the Bamboo all strimmed down.

He needs to create a garden with *minimum* maintenance. Obviously the
strimmed bamboo will just shoot up again. Will regular ongoing strimming
discourage it enough to kill it?

What would you recommend for an ongoing 'Minimum Maintenance' design of
garden in these circumstances? Thanks.

Old 13-09-2011, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:04:00 +0100, "john western"
wrote:

Neighbour has just taken over house with small garden with over three years
of rampant *all over the garden* Bamboo growth to deal with. Has had the
garden cleared and the Bamboo all strimmed down.

He needs to create a garden with *minimum* maintenance. Obviously the
strimmed bamboo will just shoot up again. Will regular ongoing strimming
discourage it enough to kill it?

What would you recommend for an ongoing 'Minimum Maintenance' design of
garden in these circumstances? Thanks.

Sounds like your neighbour has an invasive type of bamboo (some are
easily contained, others are not!). Chopping them down was a mistake
but we have to deal with that.

Digging out the roots will be difficult to say the least and the
regular trimming approach will be partially successful at best.

You neighbour needs some herbicide (oh, if only Roundup were still
around but I'd suggest Tumbleweed) and a brush.

Allow the bamboo to regrow a bit and form leaves. When dry weather is
forecast for a couple of days, paint the leaves with Tumbleweed and
leave for a week or so to allow it to start attacking the top growth.
Then get the tumbleweed and brush handy again and chop off a stem a
couple of inches above ground and immediately (that's important) paint
the cut end liberally with Tumbleweed. The bamboo sap is drawn down
quickly after the stem is cut and the idea is that the Tumbleweed will
be sucked down with it. Repeat this with all stems. Then be prepared
to repeat the treatment as new stems emerge. It may take a while but
eventually your neighbour will manage to kill it off.

Others may offer differing solutions but that's my suggestion - take
your pick of any alternatives offered and have fun.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 13-09-2011, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Neighbour has just taken over house with small garden with over three years
of rampant *all over the garden* Bamboo growth to deal with. Has had the
garden cleared and the Bamboo all strimmed down.

He needs to create a garden with *minimum* maintenance. Obviously the
strimmed bamboo will just shoot up again. Will regular ongoing strimming
discourage it enough to kill it?

What would you recommend for an ongoing 'Minimum Maintenance' design of
garden in these circumstances? Thanks.

Sounds like your neighbour has an invasive type of bamboo (some are
easily contained, others are not!). Chopping them down was a mistake
but we have to deal with that.

Wasn't there a thread on almost exactly this topic under a month ago?

Digging out the roots will be difficult to say the least and the
regular trimming approach will be partially successful at best.

Worth establishing which species and cultivar it is first. Some people
will pay good money for a decent sized specimen plant.

The nasty invasive couch grass on steroids don't count.

You neighbour needs some herbicide (oh, if only Roundup were still
around but I'd suggest Tumbleweed) and a brush.

Any generic glyphosate formulation will be OK, but it is probably
already too late in the season now to get any useful effect. Best to try
in spring/early summer when ti comes into growth again.

Allow the bamboo to regrow a bit and form leaves. When dry weather is
forecast for a couple of days, paint the leaves with Tumbleweed and
leave for a week or so to allow it to start attacking the top growth.
Then get the tumbleweed and brush handy again and chop off a stem a
couple of inches above ground and immediately (that's important) paint
the cut end liberally with Tumbleweed. The bamboo sap is drawn down
quickly after the stem is cut and the idea is that the Tumbleweed will
be sucked down with it. Repeat this with all stems. Then be prepared
to repeat the treatment as new stems emerge. It may take a while but
eventually your neighbour will manage to kill it off.

Others may offer differing solutions but that's my suggestion - take
your pick of any alternatives offered and have fun.

It's probably already going dormant now with it being so cold so the
glyphosate will be much less effective than when in full growth.

The OP would do well to look for the earlier thread.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-09-2011, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You can still buy Roundup Jake, and there are many others of the same
chemical action but with different trade names
and they are all very effective on green and growing bamboo

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 14-09-2011, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:47:49 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

You can still buy Roundup Jake, and there are many others of the same
chemical action but with different trade names
and they are all very effective on green and growing bamboo

Hmmm. I went to my local place to get some on Monday and they said
they weren't allowed to sell it any more so I assumed it's on some
recent banned list that I haven't seen.

Old 14-09-2011, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

You can still buy Roundup Jake, and there are many others of the same
chemical action but with different trade names
and they are all very effective on green and growing bamboo

Hmmm. I went to my local place to get some on Monday and they said
they weren't allowed to sell it any more so I assumed it's on some
recent banned list that I haven't seen.

Utter rubbish. They are increasingly trying to sell you the stuff as
prediluted in some kind of sprayer. The margins for selling slightly
impure water are incredibly much higher than selling the concentrate.
(same goes for windscreen wash - are people now really too dim to follow
even the simplest of instructions of how to dilute?)

It might be that at an agricultural dealer they have asked to see your
certificate and as you didn't have one they won't sell you Roundup
professional formulation. They have tightened up a bit on checks.

But unless you really love Monsanto and GM crops you really should buy a
generic own brand glyphosate based product which is cheaper. Choose the
one with most active ingredient per unit price. May be reduced in the
garden centre clearance for Santas grotto and Halloween any time now.
Unopened the stuff will keep pretty well over winter (frost free).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 15-09-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Martin (and Charlie)

I made contact with the owner of the place today. Seems that the staff
are right to say they're not allowed to sell Roundup but that's merely
because the owner has decided to limit the range of chemicals for
commercial reasons - he can't compete with the big chains price-wise
and he doesn't like chemicals anyway.

I always prefer to use pure glyphosate and with only one exception
never buy those over-priced, diluted trigger things. Roundup has its
place as I find it better for certain applications, especially where I
want to paint on rather than spray. But I buy as concentrate - earlier
this week I just wanted a little bottle of that as I don't use enough
for a big one and the chains never seem to sell the little ones!

On the trigger thing - the concentrate instructions usually say that
once diluted you need to use the stuff within a few weeks. So what's
so different about the diluted stuff in the trigger things? That'll
have been on the shelf for who knows how long before its bought. So
presumably you're paying for some preservative add-in.

And I only buy windscreen wash as concentrate (and will NEVER buy that
stuff they sell to spray on the windscreen the evening before a freeze
- neighbour bought some. Didn't make any difference to his windscreen
but messed up the paintwork around it.)

Old 16-09-2011, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
(oh, if only Roundup were still
around

You can get it from agricultural merchants Jake
--
Janet Tweedy