Old 16-09-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Saving tomato seed

Baz wrote:
I will just have to keep on buying seeds. Not a big deal, but I spend a
small fortune on the veg. garden so any savings I can make I will try.

Baz. If you have a local Wilkinsons, pop in and have a look, all of their
seeds are half price atm. Also, if you have a The Works, they have 4-for-
a-pound seeds, although I don't think they had many tomatoes on offer. Lots
and lots of flowers and veg, though.
Old 17-09-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote ...

Baz wrote:
I will just have to keep on buying seeds. Not a big deal, but I spend a
small fortune on the veg. garden so any savings I can make I will try.

Baz. If you have a local Wilkinsons, pop in and have a look, all of their
seeds are half price atm. Also, if you have a The Works, they have 4-for-
a-pound seeds, although I don't think they had many tomatoes on offer.
Lots
and lots of flowers and veg, though.

Wyvales GCs are doing the same at the moment, 50p a packet I think.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-09-2011, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Baz. If you have a local Wilkinsons, pop in and have a look, all of their
seeds are half price atm. Also, if you have a The Works, they have 4-for-
a-pound seeds, although I don't think they had many tomatoes on offer.

Wyvales GCs are doing the same at the moment, 50p a packet I think.

Wyevales was why we ended up with a million packets of seeds 4 years ago,
some of which we still have!! They were 25p at the time.
Old 18-09-2011, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
This is what I do - probably learned from urg! - and it works well. I
don't bother with the fan but just leave them to dry in the sieve
overnight and rest the sieve on some paper towel to absorb moisture. So
far, so good.

My dad always just dries his out on kitchen roll, doesn't seem to have had
any problems with it.
Old 18-09-2011, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
This is what I do - probably learned from urg! - and it works well. I
don't bother with the fan but just leave them to dry in the sieve
overnight and rest the sieve on some paper towel to absorb moisture. So
far, so good.

My dad always just dries his out on kitchen roll, doesn't seem to have had
any problems with it.

This is what we do. Highly recommend the method.

Mike

Old 18-09-2011, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Just back from Harrogate Show. spoke to the gent from the heritage
seed bank, he had a display on just how to save Tomato seed, using
just this method, but he suggest a longer time in water, past the
mouldy stage, properly seven days in water. This he said can be of
benefit.

Isn't 7 days going to make them sprout?

(Did ask if he had any Sacha's ' Jersey Gold', but no luck )

I sent them some two or three years ago so either it failed or they're
not selling it yet.

My label says Jersey Sunrise, not Jersey Gold. Are there 2 varieties, or
have I mislabelled?
Old 18-09-2011, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
My dad always just dries his out on kitchen roll, doesn't seem to have had
any problems with it.

That is what I've just done with my tomato seeds. However, a number of
them tend to stick to the paper and are a bugger to remove without
tearing the paper.

I think he just plants them with the paper still stuck on. :-)