Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Saving tomato seeds

I've grown thee tomato plants in a gro-bag away from other varieties in
order to save the (increasingly rare) strain as pure as possible.

Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

tia
Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/09/2010 23:56, Derek Turner wrote:
I've grown thee tomato plants in a gro-bag away from other varieties in
order to save the (increasingly rare) strain as pure as possible.

Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

tia

If it is anything like my outdoor cherry tomatoes, the secret is to let
them fall off the plant into the gravel and get ground under foot for
several months, covered in ice and snow and then when it gets warm in
late Spring they miraculously shoot up all over the drive, flower beds
and patio! ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 Derek Turner wrote:

I've grown thee tomato plants in a gro-bag away from other varieties in
order to save the (increasingly rare) strain as pure as possible.

Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

Get a pair of tweezers and lay the seed out on a sheet of kitchen paper.
When you come to sow them then just cut the paper up. You don't even
need to separate the seed from the paper.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 22:56, Derek Turner wrote:
I've grown thee tomato plants in a gro-bag away from other varieties in
order to save the (increasingly rare) strain as pure as possible.

Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

tia

Dear Derek,
Place the scooped out seeds in a short drinking glass
and add a little water if there was not much juice with the seed.Place
on a warm window cill for about 3 days(no longer)until the sugar in
the tomato starts fermenting,as seen from bubbles beginning to appear
in the juice-this beginning of fermentation cleans the seed
nicely.Wash the seed and spread out on to a plate (do not use
paper).In about a week the seed will be dry and you can put it in an
envelope-and label! I do this every year and the seed keeps for
years.I do not think you need to worry about cross fertilisation with
tomato plants.What variety are you keen to save?
Best regards
Michael
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:26:14 -0700, michael wrote:

..In about a week the
seed will be dry and you can put it in an envelope-and label! I do this
every year and the seed keeps for years.

Thanks. I'll try it

I do not think you need to worry
about cross fertilisation with tomato plants.What variety are you keen
to save?

Jersey Sunrise. Almost impossible to find now the commercial operations
are gone: you have to 'know someone'. Got them from Sacha this year and
wanted to save her some postage next

Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Derek Turner wrote:
Any tips on harvesting and saving the seeds, please? Specifically how to
dry them without them all sticking together?

My dad does it by spreading them out on kitchen roll to dry, then peeling
them off individually once they are ready
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Derek Turner wrote:
Jersey Sunrise. Almost impossible to find now the commercial operations
are gone: you have to 'know someone'. Got them from Sacha this year and
wanted to save her some postage next

Ooh, what are they like? I'm guessing a yellow. Google isn't being much
help.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have grown about 20 plants this year, Derek and they're the only toms
in that area. Seeds are unlikely to be in short supply! I'll get some
off to you soon. Ours came from a Grouville gardener originally so
you're in good hands even if on the wrong side of the rock. ;-) As to
cross-fertilisation, Ray (whose family grew toms etc. commercially years
ago in essex) says that they can certainly cross fertilise if e.g. bees
flit from one to the other.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I too have received Jersey Sunrise from Sacha and they were yummy, thanks
Sacha

kate

Old 13-09-2010, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Ooh, what are they like? I'm guessing a yellow. Google isn't being much
help.

No, it's a straightforward red, not over-large but full of flavour.
it's a heritage variety now. But if you email me at the Nursery
address, I'll happily post you some to try for next year. In Jersey
they were traditionally grown outside but we grow ours in compost bags
in one of the greenhouses.

Thank you, will do. We like trying as many new varieties as possible!
(if you have some extra you want spreading around the community, the local
gardening club would probably like some too, but I obviously want priority!
;-)
Old 13-09-2010, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip Ooh, what are they like? I'm guessing a yellow. Google isn't being
much
help.

No, it's a straightforward red, not over-large but full of flavour. it's
a heritage variety now. But if you email me at the Nursery address, I'll
happily post you some to try for next year. In Jersey they were
traditionally grown outside but we grow ours in compost bags in one of the
greenhouses.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

You are going to be showered with requests Sacha, have you got a favorite
charity that peeps could contribute to if they wished, of course ?

kate

Old 14-09-2010, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You are going to be showered with requests Sacha, have you got a
favorite charity that peeps could contribute to if they wished, of course
?

kate

What a kind idea, Kate. I'm happy for them to give wherever they like.
Help For Heroes springs to mind if anyone is havering!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

that's good enough for me Sacha, glad to help. I would like some more seeds
cos the mice got into my seed box and mixed them all up :-(

kate

windy in Gloucestershire, not me personally :-)