Old 27-09-2011, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Variegated ivy - Leaves not coloured pink and red this year...

Sacha wrote in :

Looks like a not very happy Houttuynia. But I suggest that, as the OP
seems to know the original supplier, he takes it back and asks him/her
what it is.

The supplier was one of my neighbours, and she thought it was an ivy.

PS, I'd love to know the correct pronounciation of Houttuynia!

Al
Old 27-09-2011, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Sep 2011 18:41:00 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:vj14879a97a3g5ji3ileghvs6o13juagj5@
4ax.com:

Houttuynia is my guess (if that's how you spell it!). Your's looks a
bit sick but that's probably because it's too dry. This is a moist
soil loving plant - pond margins sort of thing. Trouble is it's as
invasive as hell. I planted one in a planter in a pond. It's now
coming up in my lawn a few feet away from the pond.

Yes, I think you have identified it correctly, because it looks just like
this one: http://tinyurl.com/6yv4chx

Thanks!

If you bought it labelled as ivy, take it back!

I wouldn't do that! I really like the plant; the leaf colouring was
spectacular when it was doing it's red-and-pink show in earnest, last
Summer. I also like invasive plants! I have a lot of ground that needs
covering up with something pretty to stifle the weeds! Unfortunately, I
don;t have a pond or any damp areas. I guess I could easily make a pond
though, or greate a deliberate leak in a drain-pipe or something...

Al

Just keep it well watered. By "invasive" I mean it spreads. However I
wouldn't call it "ground cover" - it just pops up where it feels like
it. In that little pot it probably feels a bit cramped as well so
allowing it freedom will give it a pick-me-up.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 27-09-2011, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:6f648796ck2a002kg28735grejma1uibrm@
4ax.com:

I wouldn't do that! I really like the plant; the leaf colouring was
spectacular when it was doing it's red-and-pink show in earnest, last
Summer. I also like invasive plants! I have a lot of ground that needs
covering up with something pretty to stifle the weeds! Unfortunately, I
don;t have a pond or any damp areas. I guess I could easily make a pond
though, or greate a deliberate leak in a drain-pipe or something...

Al

Just keep it well watered. By "invasive" I mean it spreads. However I
wouldn't call it "ground cover" - it just pops up where it feels like
it. In that little pot it probably feels a bit cramped as well so
allowing it freedom will give it a pick-me-up.

OK - thanks. I've just learned that it is both a culiniary herb and a
medicinal herb. One site said that when brised, the leaves produce the
fracrance of Seville oranges! It tried that with mine, and found exactly
that! So it seems an interesting plant in many ways. I will keep an eye on
it though, because I gather it's to get rid of, once it spreads...

Al

Old 28-09-2011, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

I say something along the lines of Hootoonia but have no idea if that's
right or not! Glad we've now pinned it down to what it really is,
however. Because if you were waiting for that to climb up and cling to
a support, you'd be a disappointed man!

LOL - yes, for sure!

Al

Old 28-09-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote ..

Sacha wrote :

Looks like a not very happy Houttuynia. But I suggest that, as the OP
seems to know the original supplier, he takes it back and asks him/her
what it is.

The supplier was one of my neighbours, and she thought it was an ivy.

PS, I'd love to know the correct pronunciation of Houttuynia!

From my Dictionary of Plant Names it's... Hoo-tie-nee-a ... after Martin
Houttuyn a Dutch Naturalist.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-09-2011, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"AL_n" wrote ..
PS, I'd love to know the correct pronunciation of Houttuynia!

From my Dictionary of Plant Names it's... Hoo-tie-nee-a ... after
Martin Houttuyn a Dutch Naturalist.

I have no idea how it's properly pronounced but I always think of it as
'the Hootenanny Plant' which is as good a misnomer as any since
hootenanny, before it came to mean a folk music gathering, was
apparently an old word meaning something along the lines of 'wossname'
or 'thingmajig' and used when the proper name had been forgotten.

--
Sue

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
green coloured froth-like surface Martin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 12-03-2003 12:20 PM