Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-09-2011, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Michaelmas Daisies

I almost gave up trying to grow any late flowering asters, my light
free-draining soil leaving them suffering with drought and mildew even
with extra watering and occasional spraying with fungicide. But I've
found the frikartii types are mildew free and seem more able to cope
with drier soil, with A x f. 'Jungfrau' doing especially well in a
difficult spot.

She's amazed me by not only surviving but positively thriving in a bed
made that's backed by large shrubs and conifers next door, so shaded
at least half the day. It also used to be an area overhung by a now
thankfully ex sycamore and the soil is so depleted there, it's
practically nothing but stony dust with garden compost added, yet
Jungfrau has taken it all in her stride. I'm attempting to root a few
cuttings to try in another position.

A shorter one that's also doing well, flowering freely in a different
bed with sun only part of the afternoon is Aster peduncularis. That's a
similar shade of lavender blue but has broader foliage. It was
recommended to me by a local nurseryman as a good doer for dryish soil
and he seems to have been spot on; I've been pleased with that one as
well. Aster f. Monch is another I have that's planted in sunnier area.

I'd like to find others in different colours if possible, as these are
all pretty much the same lavender blue, so I was wondering if anyone
could suggest any varieties that would grow in a light soil that are a
red, pink or deeper purpley colour?

Weed of the week: Michaelmas daisy (Symphiotrichum x salignum) Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 07-10-2013 12:05 AM
Michaelmas daisy David in Normandy[_3_] United Kingdom 5 05-10-2007 08:43 PM
Michaelmas daisies Tim Gorgs Gardening 1 23-05-2004 07:07 AM
Livingston Daisies Andrew United Kingdom 2 18-09-2003 09:04 PM
Repost: Leaves falling off daisies (was: Margharite daisies look sad, help!) Adam Schwartz Gardening 3 08-06-2003 05:56 AM