Old 29-09-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default soil/sand/compost ratio

Have some hibiscus to put in larger pots on a south facing window.

John Innes No3, and some general purpose compost, and sharp sand I have got
and are all ready to be mixed up.

Since I having 'deepish' saucers under the pots, what *ratio* of these three
components would you mix up; with a view to minimize the watering, but also
keep the plants happy?

Old 29-09-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:50:07 +0100, "john east"
wrote:

Have some hibiscus to put in larger pots on a south facing window.

John Innes No3, and some general purpose compost, and sharp sand I have got
and are all ready to be mixed up.

Since I having 'deepish' saucers under the pots, what *ratio* of these three
components would you mix up; with a view to minimize the watering, but also
keep the plants happy?

To be honest, I find sharp sand is useless when mixed with JI3. I've
tried coarse grit but have found that mixing a 5 litre bag of Perlite
with a 20 litre bag of JI3 provides decent drainage without the weight
in pots. I don't mix multipurpose in as I think it's
counter-productive.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 29-09-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Have some hibiscus to put in larger pots on a south facing window.

John Innes No3, and some general purpose compost, and sharp sand I have got
and are all ready to be mixed up.

Since I having 'deepish' saucers under the pots, what *ratio* of these three
components would you mix up; with a view to minimize the watering, but also
keep the plants happy?

To be honest, I find sharp sand is useless when mixed with JI3. I've
tried coarse grit but have found that mixing a 5 litre bag of Perlite
with a 20 litre bag of JI3 provides decent drainage without the weight
in pots. I don't mix multipurpose in as I think it's
counter-productive.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk

The advantage of adding grit rather than pearlite is the weight, if
you want to stop pots blowing over then the more weight in the compost
the better.
If you have to move the pots a lot and they wont be exposed to winds,
then Pearlite is fine.
To stop the pots drying out to fast then add somewater retaining
polymer granuals.
There is general purpose compostand there is general purpose compost,
a lot of it is rubbish.
The best I find is B&Q peat based multi purpose the best, and so does
Gardening Which.
I'd mix it 50/50 with the JI and then add around 1 part in 6 by volume
of pearlite, or gravel.
If your plants are not in active growth I would delay potting till the
spring.
Good luck