Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Polygala myrtifolia

Anyone growing it or any of it's varieties successfully in the UK? Where
about in the UK are you? Does it take frost? Does it flower well and when?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

"Bob Hobden" said:

Anyone growing it or any of it's varieties successfully in the UK?
Where about in the UK are you? Does it take frost? Does it flower well
and when?

It was killed off here in the garden about 3 years ago. I lost it in a
Jersey garden, too, during an unusually severe winter for Jersey. They
do fine in the greenhouses.

I'll scrub it off my list then.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone growing it or any of it's varieties successfully in the UK? Where
about in the UK are you? Does it take frost? Does it flower well and when?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I can nearly get it through the winter outside here, I suspect if you were
very coastal or inner city it may be doable, here it grows in an unheated
greenhouse and flowers 365 days a year and remains evergreen.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I had the hybrid P. x dalmaisiana growing here for several years. So
well in fact that I had to shift it, which proved to be a fatal move.
They don't like being disturbed once established. After a couple of
years settling in, it was almost constantly in flower and the bright
magenta against the blue-green leaves was a very telling combination.
The green leaved myrtifolia is widely used for low hedging in Cyprus
where it seems to withstand inordinate butchery and yet continues to
flower freely.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 8, 11:12*pm, Dave Poole wrote:
I had the hybrid P. x dalmaisiana growing here for several years. *So
well in fact that I had to shift it, which proved to be a fatal move.
They don't like being disturbed once established. *After a couple of
years settling in, it was almost constantly in flower and the bright
magenta against the blue-green leaves was a very telling combination.
The green leaved myrtifolia is widely used for low hedging in Cyprus
where it seems to withstand *inordinate butchery and yet continues to
flower freely.

I had one here growing under cold glass, but I lost it last winter.
David

Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

Anyone growing it or any of it's varieties successfully in the UK? Where
about in the UK are you? Does it take frost? Does it flower well and when?

I was just laughing to myself about the replies, if someone had asked me who
I thought might reply you would all have been on the list. Perhaps I've been
on this Ng too long. :-)
Thank you all for your experience and comments.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Anyone growing it or any of it's varieties successfully in the UK? Where
about in the UK are you? Does it take frost? Does it flower well and when?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK
Hi Bob, this charming shrub is a very good seller for me here in west cornwall and this is what I advise my customers to do. For the first couple of years, prune it back by half in the spring and then the subsequent seasons growth again by half in the first week of August. By doing this, you form a dense bush which will be better able to stand cold weather. The problem is that they flower just about all year and so people are loathed to prune them as they always have flowers somewhere ! I have quite a few customers from your area (mostly holiday makers) and I would advise growing it in a container for this initial 'bushing up' stage and planting it out when it was a little larger and bushier, of course, ensuring you have the required acid soil, in which they do much better.
regards, Lannerman.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote
[...]

Thanks for that information, that process would be do-able for me however
the soil at home is about neutral, would that be unsuitable? I can always
"improve" the acidity but the natural situation is neutral. Unfortunately I
already have too many large pots of plants (citrus etc) that need frost free
care so could not provide another large plant with protection.
I do sometimes get to N. Cornwall, the Camelford area, so whereabouts is
your nursery?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered User

[...]

I would think a neutral soil would be fine. As I said, just get it established in a pot and then plant it out, its got a good chance of surviving when larger. Mine
survived -8c last winter, but they were cut back by the frost but came easily from the base in the spring. I must admit that I kept them really dry during the cold weather and like all these 'borderline' plants, that seems to be the secret- dry compost doesnt freeze as much !! I salmon fish the upper reaches of the river Camel at Advent Church nr. Camelford !! I do have a nursery near Falmouth but I'm not open to the public. I sell my plants at the Hayle and Rosudgeon car boot sales (next year is my 20th year) from March to October so, if your about, I'd be pleased to see you.
regards, Lannerman.