Old 24-08-2003, 04:32 PM
PA

Default manure v. compost

Hello,
I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant decide to use
manure or compost.
I can get a load of manure delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or
any thing else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have a
special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 ( peat based
though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that I was going to mix with
it.
so the question is: manure better then compost?
or use both?
thanks
Paul

Old 24-08-2003, 06:02 PM
bnd777

"PA" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant decide to use
manure or compost.
I can get a load of manure delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or
any thing else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have a
special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 ( peat based
though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that I was going to mix with
it.
so the question is: manure better then compost?
or use both?
thanks
Paul

Manure evertime but why not contact riding schools, livery stables etc and

see if you can collect your own for free many of them have to pay to have it
taken away !!!!!!!!

Old 24-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Simon Avery

"PA" wrote:

Hello PA

P I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant
P decide to use manure or compost. I can get a load of manure
P delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or any thing
P else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have
P a special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 (
P peat based though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that
P I was going to mix with it. so the question is: manure
P better then compost? or use both? thanks Paul

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

Old 24-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Kate Morgan

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

kate
gloucestershire just in case :-)
Old 24-08-2003, 08:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:33:20 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

Keep kissing the frogs :-)
--
Martin

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

Keep kissing the frogs :-)

I will I will, when are you coming over :-)))
Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "PA" contains these words:

I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant decide to use
manure or compost.
I can get a load of manure delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or
any thing else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have a
special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 ( peat based
though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that I was going to mix with
it.
so the question is: manure better then compost?
or use both?

Depends on the ground. If the soil is already good loam, compost (i.e.,
peat-like stuff) won't help it much, but if it's heavy ground, or sandy,
it will. Manure will help virtually all soils, and over winter it should
be incorporated and broken down by the worms.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
martin

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:52:51 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

snip

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

Keep kissing the frogs :-)

I will I will, when are you coming over :-)))

SURPRISE SURPRISE!
:-)
--
Martin

Old 24-08-2003, 09:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:29:50 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

Keep kissing the frogs :-)

I will I will, when are you coming over :-)))

SURPRISE SURPRISE!
:-)

LOL very loudly !

It wouldn't have been much of a surprise, if I had whispered, other
than the metamorphoses bit, that is.
--
Martin

Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 PM
PA

"bnd777" wrote in message

Manure evertime but why not contact riding schools, livery stables etc

and
see if you can collect your own for free many of them have to pay to have

it
taken away !!!!!!!!

there is a field down the road that has bags of manure left out side the

gate, but I thought manure has to age 6months to a year before it can be
used, or could I leave it covering the ground from now to say spring and
then dig it in?
thanks
Paul

Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

PA wrote:
: Hello,
: I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant decide to
: use manure or compost.
: I can get a load of manure delivered for £25, but I don't how old it
: is or any thing else about it, the other option I thought of was,
: wicks have a special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9
: ( peat based though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that I was
: going to mix with it.
: so the question is: manure better then compost?
: or use both?
: thanks
: Paul

They are both good, get as much of both as you can

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 24-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Kate Morgan

there is a field down the road that has bags of manure left out side the

gate, but I thought manure has to age 6months to a year before it can be
used, or could I leave it covering the ground from now to say spring and
then dig it in?
thanks
Paul

I just spread mine where needed in the autumn and forget about it, no
problems.
kate
Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
LizR

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:33:20 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

I get excited when any one wants horse manure, one day my prince will
come and take my muck heap away :-)

kate
gloucestershire just in case :-)

Where? Mail me, it's a spam trap, but I'll fish you out of there in a couple of
days:-)

Liz
Old 25-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"PA" wrote:

Hello PA

P I'm going to cover my allotment over the winter, but I cant
P decide to use manure or compost. I can get a load of manure
P delivered for £25, but I don't how old it is or any thing
P else about it, the other option I thought of was, wicks have
P a special offer on at the mo, 3 x 90lt bags of compost £9 (
P peat based though ), I have some Marshall organic extra that
P I was going to mix with it. so the question is: manure
P better then compost? or use both? thanks Paul

Most horse places are only too willing to let you collect for free -
if you've got something to shift the stuff then it might work out a
lot cheaper, and you can be fussier about what you collect than if it
was delivered.

My friends daughter has just moved her horse to a field with one other
horse. One of the rental stipulations for the field is that they dispose of
all horse manure.

They bag it up and bring it to me. I would never have believed the amount of
s__t that comes out of two horses.

ATM the heap is 4' x 12' x 3' high - and it`s only been going for six weeks.

I`m in desperately need of 10 pallets to build three compost bins.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.