Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fly Agaric toadstool

The fairies have returned to the end of my garden, if red toadstools
they're always illustrated as sitting on are any indicator. This
afternoon I was quite pleased to find we've got four Fly Agarics in
a group in grass under the silver birches.

I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping up
at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had a
single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005. Something
seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest ones, so I hope
they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

--
Sue

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/12/2011 05:21 PM, Sue wrote:
The fairies have returned to the end of my garden, if red toadstools
they're always illustrated as sitting on are any indicator. This
afternoon I was quite pleased to find we've got four Fly Agarics in
a group in grass under the silver birches.

I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping up
at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had a
single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005. Something
seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest ones, so I hope
they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

Don't eat them, or you're likely to see the fairies too!

They really are attractive fungi, very common here in Normandy where
they are known locally as "montre-cepe" (the common name is "tue-mouche"
or fly killer) because the have a habit of growing near the delicious
Boletus edulis.

Slugs and snails love Amanitas, I wouldn't worry about the wildlife.

cheers,

-E

Old 12-11-2011, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sue wrote:
The fairies have returned to the end of my garden, if red toadstools
they're always illustrated as sitting on are any indicator. This
afternoon I was quite pleased to find we've got four Fly Agarics in
a group in grass under the silver birches.

I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping up
at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had a
single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005. Something
seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest ones, so I hope
they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

Probably slugs. They can even eat death cap!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 12, 5:20*pm, wrote:
In article ,

Sue wrote:
The fairies have returned to the end of my garden, if red toadstools
they're always illustrated as sitting on are any indicator. This
afternoon I was quite pleased to find we've got four Fly Agarics in
a group in grass under the silver birches.

I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping up
at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had a
single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005. Something
seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest ones, so I hope
they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

Probably slugs. *They can even eat death cap!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Interesting article on Fly Agaric, though rather long
http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobota.../flyagaric.php
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2011 17:18, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

I think that this photo I took in Bedgebury Arboretum a couple of years
ago should put paid to the myth that flies are killed by Fly Agaric.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/c756dd7038_0.07MB
(download from link)

--

Jeff

Old 13-11-2011, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
Interesting article on Fly Agaric, though rather long
http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobota.../flyagaric.php

According to that it looks as though I could charge at least 4 reindeer
if I were to sell them to the right people.

On the other hand, reindeer or the odd stoned shaman might be too much
trouble to deal with so I think I'll just enjoy looking at the
toadstools while they're there and hope they do bring good luck.

--
Sue

Old 13-11-2011, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote
On 11/12/2011 05:21 PM, Sue wrote:

[...]
I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping
up at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had
a single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005.
Something seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest
ones, so I hope they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

Don't eat them, or you're likely to see the fairies too!

A certain je ne sais quoi to the next omlette?

[...]
Slugs and snails love Amanitas, I wouldn't worry about the wildlife.

Ok. Thanks Emery.

--
Sue

Old 14-11-2011, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...
The fairies have returned to the end of my garden, if red toadstools
they're always illustrated as sitting on are any indicator. This
afternoon I was quite pleased to find we've got four Fly Agarics in
a group in grass under the silver birches.

I know these toadstools are somewhat poisonous but they do look
attractive. There are always brownish fungi of various sorts popping up
at this time of year down the end there, but the last time we had a
single solitary Fly Agaric was 6 years ago in Autumn 2005. Something
seems to have been nibbling or pecking at these latest ones, so I hope
they're not too poisonous to wildlife.

--
Sue

It has been said that Viking raiders would eat a small piece of Fly Agaric
in order to get "High" prior to a raid.

Bill

Old 14-11-2011, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

Old 15-11-2011, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote
It has been said that Viking raiders would eat a small piece of Fly
Agaric in order to get "High" prior to a raid.

Perhaps the slugs and snails are doing the same thing!

--
Sue