Old 27-11-2011, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Early Spring Bulbs

I planted some spring bulbs about a month ago - planting them at the depth
which it said on the packet.

They have come through already - some by as much as half an inch.

Should I cover them up with compost; move them in to the green house and
protect from frost; just leave as they are; or any other suggestion.

Old 27-11-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote in
:

I planted some spring bulbs about a month ago - planting them at the
depth which it said on the packet.

They have come through already - some by as much as half an inch.

Should I cover them up with compost; move them in to the green house
and protect from frost; just leave as they are; or any other
suggestion.

I would leave them where they are now. It can't hurt to cover them with
compost though.
I am sure as can be that they will be fine.
Last winter was the hardest, longest and coldest in my life and I lost
every "hardy" veg, but the daffies and tulips came up as normal.
My established daffs were showing in Sept. this year and I have complete
confidence that they will be fine.

Best wishes
Baz
Old 27-11-2011, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote ...

I planted some spring bulbs about a month ago - planting them at the depth
which it said on the packet.

They have come through already - some by as much as half an inch.

Should I cover them up with compost; move them in to the green house and
protect from frost; just leave as they are; or any other suggestion.

So have some of mine and they have been in for more than a decade. They know
what's good for them leave them alone.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2011, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jmsmith2011
@hotmail.co.uk says...

I planted some spring bulbs about a month ago - planting them at the depth
which it said on the packet.

They have come through already - some by as much as half an inch.

Should I cover them up with compost; move them in to the green house and
protect from frost; just leave as they are; or any other suggestion.

Meandering around this afternoon, I noticed that we have several clumps
of snowdrops up by about an inch.

Never remember seeing them before the new year before.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 27-11-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 27, 5:45*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Last winter was the hardest, longest and coldest in my life

Either you are very young, or so old your memory is shot :-)

* Janet.

December 26th 1962 temperature went below freezing in the evening

Easter 1963 temperature went above freezing for the first time and it felt
warm.

I remember that one. There was ice 18"/450mm thick on the canal.
Old 27-11-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 27, 5:49*pm, harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 5:45*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Last winter was the hardest, longest and coldest in my life

Either you are very young, or so old your memory is shot :-)

* Janet.

December 26th 1962 temperature went below freezing in the evening

Easter 1963 temperature went above freezing for the first time and it felt
warm.

I remember that one. *There was ice 18"/450mm thick on the canal.- Hide quoted text -

I remember digging mobile greenhouse plots wearing shorts, the sun was
out and it felt warm even though it was still below freezing, at the
time we lived in Hastings
Old 28-11-2011, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Meandering around this afternoon, I noticed that we have several
clumps of snowdrops up by about an inch.

Never remember seeing them before the new year before.

Not a sign of them here yet.(N.Lincs)

Baz