Old 24-12-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How bizarre

We've just been down to the allotment as is our wont on Christmas eve to
pick sprouts(good) and dig parsnips(ok ish) and the baby new
potatoes(disappointing).

But the strangest thing happened. When I put the fork in to start digging
parsnips, I dug up an egg. Yes, an egg. It looked like a hen's egg, brown. I
don't know whether any other birds eggs can be mistaken for a hen's egg. Do
any animals bury eggs?

I brought it home and it sank rather than floated, which would suggest it
was fresh rather than stale, but I don't know whether being buried would
have affected this. I broke it open and it didn't smell bad, but I'm not
brave enough to eat it. There are no chickens nearby as far as I know, and
we have the allotment furthest from the road, so unlikely to have been
brought in for a prank. I would regard it having been put there by another
allotmenteer as not beyond the bounds of possibility, but extremely
unlikely.

The soil it was in was dug up a couple of weeks ago when I last dug
parsnips, so it was loose, and also very wet this morning. The egg was
completely buried, so it must have been deliberate, rather than having been
dropped.

Any ideas?

Steve

Old 24-12-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 24, 12:17*pm, "shazzbat"
wrote:
[...]

Could it have been that chap on "Escape to the Country" on TV last
week who said he wanted to grow Chickens?
On the other hand Foxes will bury eggs.

Old 24-12-2011, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message
[...]

Foxes often bury eggs

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 24-12-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote ( ...

[...]

It's foxes. On our last allotment site which were there were 6 allotments
taken out of 150+ we had two dens of foxes on the site and I dug up eggs,
both chicken and duck on occasions. We were next to the Swan Sanctuary so
that's probably where they came from. I also dug up two perfect but dirty
gammon slices which really gave me a turn, seeing red meat on the end of
your fork. One time we went down to the plot and were greeted by the head of
a dead rat looking at us, it was buried up to it's neck.

Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-12-2011, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
It's foxes. On our last allotment site which were there were 6 allotments
taken out of 150+ we had two dens of foxes on the site and I dug up eggs,
both chicken and duck on occasions. We were next to the Swan Sanctuary so
that's probably where they came from. I also dug up two perfect but dirty
gammon slices which really gave me a turn, seeing red meat on the end of
your fork. One time we went down to the plot and were greeted by the head of
a dead rat looking at us, it was buried up to it's neck.

We had a large chunk of cooked chicken buried on ours one time. I thin
kyou're right about it being foxes.
Old 27-12-2011, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"shazzbat" wrote ( ...

[...]

Fascinating stuff Bob. You certainly seem to have answered the question
very graphically.

Who'd have quessed?

Bill

BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
OT - bizarre deer behavior / CWD [email protected] North Carolina 2 17-07-2003 06:01 PM
OT - bizarre deer behavior Laura Van Sant North Carolina 6 17-07-2003 02:02 PM
Really bizarre dave weil Roses 8 06-06-2003 06:08 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 11-05-2003 10:45 PM