Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Adding CO2 for greater growth?

In message
Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 29/12/11 14:13, Michael Bell wrote:

The next most obvious thing to do is to go back to school chemistry
and use Kipp's apparatus, that involves limestone, not a problem, and
acid, which might be a problem.

Yeast?

Hugh

Yes, a possibility. Steady production at biological temperatures.

Another possibility is Alka-Selzer cartridges. Or have I got the name
right? Those capsules which produce a sparkling drink?

Michael Bell

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jan 1, 12:44*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
ups.com
* * * * * NT wrote:
On Dec 30 2011, 5:04 pm, Michael Bell
wrote:
In message
wrote:
In article
ups.com,
NT wrote:

heaters would
presumably be more widespread in greenhouses.
I saw a summary of some research on this a while back. It's very
complicated, as you might expect, but far more plants suffer from
raised levels than benefit from them. As you say, in the UK, light
is the main limit - but there a zillion other factors, and each
species has different requirements.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

OK, Let's discuss lighting. I have lost the original paperwork and the
hydroponics shop I bought it from is no longer there (Bust for
cannabis growing? How evil-minded can you get?) but searching through
the web, I am using a hood looking very like this

http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/...ts/CFL-Grow-Li....

except it has two lights side-by-side, and the lights are labelled
"Eco-light Grow 200W 220 - 240V 50 - 60Hz 6400K". They look "the
business" and I am sure they are. I have had this kit for 1 year and
they grew well last year, but due to a series of mishaps I am making a
later start this year. I want my seedlings to be big and strong, just
like a parent, and I am a craftsman and a maximalist. So how do I get
the seedlings big and strong? I can't see any way of giving them more
light,

You've not told us what type of lights they are. 200w 6400K suggests
mercury fluorescent, possibly folded into giant cfl format. You've not
told us how many plants, or how far away your lighting is from them.
If I were to add a 3rd light, I'd probably pick low pressure sodium,
or maybe replace one of the fluorescents with HPS.
NT

I think I have told you (above) what the lights are. They are a ring
of U-shaped tubes which look like bigger versions of the
"energy-saving" lights you get for home use. The lights were sold to
go with this

http://www.basementlighting.com/Merc...ge=1/prod/SMTR

which is most definitely the hood over it, the bottom of the hood is
30 cms from the plants. In a room kept at about 17 C it keeps the
plants at 23 C which I think it just nice. I don't know what more I
can say.

Michael Bell

What you gave us was a brand name. Now we know they're fluorescent.
I'm guessing you chose these for their white light, rather than HPS,
which is a golden to pink colour. HPS would give more light per watt,
or less run cost per lumen.

Either way though you've got plenty of light there. I'd look at other
things like fertilisation, but I've a feeling you'll have optimised
those already. If so you've done about all you can.

NT
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
ups.com

* * * * * NT wrote:
On Dec 30 2011, 5:04 pm, Michael Bell

[...]