Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worker bumblebees in midwinter

On fine days in winter I expect to find queen bumblebees (Bombus
terrestris) in my winter honeysuckle. This year there are worker bees
on every dry day, and the same at my friend's house in another part of
town. What's happened to the seasons?
--
Sue ]
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 5, 7:24*pm, Darkside wrote:
On fine days in winter I expect to find queen bumblebees (Bombus
terrestris) in my winter honeysuckle. *This year there are worker bees
on every dry day, and the same at my friend's house in another part of
town. *What's happened to the seasons?
--
Sue *]

As was said many years ago
"In Britain we dont have a climate, only weather"
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
On fine days in winter I expect to find queen bumblebees (Bombus
terrestris) in my winter honeysuckle. This year there are worker bees
on every dry day, and the same at my friend's house in another part of
town. What's happened to the seasons?
--
Sue ]

There is nothing unusual in this. Bees do not hibernate, and if the weather
is still and sunny, they will make quick journeys outside on cleaning
flights. You don't say where you are (a common failing) but if your
temperature rises above 10C. and there is little wind, then the bees will
normally fly and if there is food, they will go for it. They only have the
food stored in the hive to last the winter so if they can gather outside,
it's a bonus.

Phil
Beekeeping in the Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Phil Gurr wrote:
There is nothing unusual in this. Bees do not hibernate, and if the weather
is still and sunny, they will make quick journeys outside on cleaning
flights. You don't say where you are (a common failing) but if your
temperature rises above 10C. and there is little wind, then the bees will
normally fly and if there is food, they will go for it. They only have the
food stored in the hive to last the winter so if they can gather outside,
it's a bonus.

Little buggers still didn't see fit to pollinate my unseasonaly flowering
broad beans, though. :-(