Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blind crocus

Most of my crocus have come up with only leaves this year, any idea why?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2012 23:26, Christina Websell wrote:
Most of my crocus have come up with only leaves this year, any idea why?

You haven't been feeding them enough carrots?

Seriously, it's what happened last year which will have determined
whether or not they flower this year, as that is when the flower bud is
made. Is there any reason to suspect some problem in late spring last
year? Is it possible that the bulbs split into smaller plants which
are, as yet, too small to flower?

FWIW, mine have flowered well, and the municipal displays have also been
superb.

--

Jeff
Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/2012 23:26, Christina Websell wrote:
Most of my crocus have come up with only leaves this year, any idea why?

You haven't been feeding them enough carrots?

Seriously, it's what happened last year which will have determined
whether or not they flower this year, as that is when the flower bud is
made. Is there any reason to suspect some problem in late spring last
year? Is it possible that the bulbs split into smaller plants which
are, as yet, too small to flower?

FWIW, mine have flowered well, and the municipal displays have also been
superb.

Mine are poor, too. It was very dry last spring, which is almost
certainly the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/2012 23:26, Christina Websell wrote:
Most of my crocus have come up with only leaves this year, any idea why?

You haven't been feeding them enough carrots?

Seriously, it's what happened last year which will have determined
whether or not they flower this year, as that is when the flower bud is
made. Is there any reason to suspect some problem in late spring last
year? Is it possible that the bulbs split into smaller plants which
are, as yet, too small to flower?

FWIW, mine have flowered well, and the municipal displays have also been
superb.

Mine are poor, too. It was very dry last spring, which is almost
certainly the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well your posting there Nick has prompted an iow urgler to draw my attention
to a massive display of Crocus at Shanklin Old Village and 'take a photo
Mike and show them off'. Well I did take a photo but they had gone over. A
massive display of three or four beds. Why did they do so well? They were in
a part that was so much of an overflow of my daughter's AND the village
pond, that a drainage scheme was put in to stop the constant flow of water
across said land and down the gutter to the nearest drain. So what you say
about water, seems to be correct.

Mike

Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/2012 23:26, Christina Websell wrote:
Most of my crocus have come up with only leaves this year, any idea why?

You haven't been feeding them enough carrots?

Seriously, it's what happened last year which will have determined
whether or not they flower this year, as that is when the flower bud is
made. Is there any reason to suspect some problem in late spring last
year? Is it possible that the bulbs split into smaller plants which
are, as yet, too small to flower?

FWIW, mine have flowered well, and the municipal displays have also been
superb.

Mine are poor, too. It was very dry last spring, which is almost
certainly the cause.

Thanks, I wondered if they had a limited life and I needed to dig them up
and replace them.
Would it help if I fed them? I occasionally throw some wood ash around them
and fork it in but perhaps that's not enough.