Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swansea Bay (East) Newsflash

The Garden Centre Group, a.k.a. Wyevale, shut the Pyle Garden Centre
in January. I've been watching signs of the place being refurbished
and the appearance of "garden centre reopening in the spring" signs
indicated something was happening.

Discovered today that the BBC Wales newsreader Jane James is
branching out and "re-opening" the place as an independent. The
renowned Derek Brockway (BBC Wales weatherman with an international
fan club!) will be performing the opening ceremony on 31 March.

So now I wonder whether the offerings and prices will be typical
garden centre or more nursery oriented.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
The Garden Centre Group, a.k.a. Wyevale, shut the Pyle Garden Centre
in January. I've been watching signs of the place being refurbished
and the appearance of "garden centre reopening in the spring" signs
indicated something was happening.

Discovered today that the BBC Wales newsreader Jane James is
branching out and "re-opening" the place as an independent. The
renowned Derek Brockway (BBC Wales weatherman with an international
fan club!) will be performing the opening ceremony on 31 March.

So now I wonder whether the offerings and prices will be typical
garden centre or more nursery oriented.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I hope the cafe will continue to serve their brilliant bread pudding.

Bill

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:13:41 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .
The Garden Centre Group, a.k.a. Wyevale, shut the Pyle Garden Centre
in January. I've been watching signs of the place being refurbished
and the appearance of "garden centre reopening in the spring" signs
indicated something was happening.

Discovered today that the BBC Wales newsreader Jane James is
branching out and "re-opening" the place as an independent. The
renowned Derek Brockway (BBC Wales weatherman with an international
fan club!) will be performing the opening ceremony on 31 March.

So now I wonder whether the offerings and prices will be typical
garden centre or more nursery oriented.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I hope the cafe will continue to serve their brilliant bread pudding.

Bill

The cafe remains open and I assume it's under the old management as it
wasn't a Wyevale franchise but rather a separate "let" from the
landlord. OTOH, on the odd occasion that I went to Wyevale as was for
a bag of compost, I used to hate that bl***y cafe as it was a regular
haunt for local business people who would fill up the car park whilst
having a business meeting over coffee and I had to lug the compost up
to the overflow car park that was (is) higher than the roof of the
garden centre! I know Wyevale lost a lot of business because people
couldn't park "on a level" and just drove off.

Incidentally, for accuracy I should refer to Jane as an "ex" BBC
newsreader. At least she's local so I'm hoping for the personal touch.
She's a really nice person.

If you're ever coming to the cafe, let me know - it would be good to
meet!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:13:41 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If ever I had any survey work in the Pyle area, I would sometimes call in
there for lunch.:-)

If you're ever coming to the cafe, let me know - it would be good to
meet!

I rearely get to Pyle these days, but yours is a nice idea - Ishall bear it
in mind.

Bill
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 7, 10:06*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Jake" wrote in message

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:13:41 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.- Hide quoted text -

What time of day is the opening?
Also the 31st is earth day http://www.greeningtheblue.org/event...-31-march-2012
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:22:10 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

What time of day is the opening?
Also the 31st is earth day http://www.greeningtheblue.org/event...-31-march-2012
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

Don't know yet but will let you know as soon as I do.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What time of day is the opening?
Also the 31st is earth day http://www.greeningtheblue.org/event...-31-march-2012
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

Derek says he's planning to perform at about 11 am though this needs
to be confirmed.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.