Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This weekend

I hit the drive with the strimmer and Pathclear on Saturday. I read
elsewhere that the latest formulation of the latter isn't as effective
as the previous formulation.

I repaired the fruit cage (snow damage, grinds teeth. I was prepared
to take the lid off but got the timing wrong. That won't happen
again.).

Sowed in propagators, heated or not, all but inside:

* Three sorts of tomato (San Marzarno, Red Alert & Gardeners Delight)
* Sweet pepper (Gourmet)
* More Okra
* Parsnips sowed in bogroll tubes - a bit of an experiment. Today was
the first time I can recall seeing a Parsnip seed. I will need to get
some sand. I already have a suitable tool to brog holes and compost
with which to fill the holes in the proposed planting site

Sowed outside:

Grass seed to fill in the gaps and refilled voids following the
turfing of the site of a removed 'feature'.

Peas need to go out in open ground tomorrow as do more Broad Beans.
That patch is 'Ready to Receive'.

All (well, most) of the Garlic is growing well. The overwintered
Broad Beans look good despite signs of a determined slug attack and
freezing conditions. The overwintered Yellow Onion patch needs
weeding. Not too many losses however.

The spuds in potato bags in the greehouse are starting to show (Sharps
Express). The outdoor potato seed is chitting but the target patch
still needs work.

Rhubarb is growing

JonH
West London
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

That was Saturday Morning ..................... and the rest of the weekend?

Mike

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:53:42 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Mike:

No, Saturday morning was the invariable weekly Tesco Ritual (: and a
visit to the remaining Outlaw. The latter is a gardener and
allotment holder whose productivity puts me to shame despite his
years. Although it has to be said that his failing eyesight results
in an increasing level of terminally damaged root vegtables.

The above report covered Saturday afternoon's efforts, before I cooked
a Chicken Kashmiri with chips washed down by several GnTs.

Sunday revolves around laundry, cooking lunch, eating same, sleeping
off lunch whilst listening to Gardener's Snoozing time (or not),
baking bread and planning. I have walked in the garden today and have
done SFA therein - apart from watering the potato bins.

Gardening starts again tomorrow - as and when. But first, I need some
stores from a couple of gardening outlets - neither of which will meet
all of my requirements.

Thereafter, I fear that I have to work for a few days until next
weekend starts on Friday morning.

Regards
JonH

p.s. More Brussels Sprouts seeds have germinated. Woo Hoo. WTH am I
going to plant them?