Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why do seedlings sometimes flop over and die?

Can anyone tell me some reasons why seedlings sometimes flop over and die,
while others (of the same variety) don't?

Al
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote:

Can anyone tell me some reasons why seedlings sometimes flop over and die,
while others (of the same variety) don't?

Damping-off disease (a fungus IIRC) is the likely suspect.
Prevention includes sterile media, good air circulation, various evil
drenches if you're into that stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Mar 2012 20:26:29 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Can anyone tell me some reasons why seedlings sometimes flop over and die,
while others (of the same variety) don't?

Al

Some will die as a fact of life but if you have a major spate of this
then one likely cause is what's known as "damping off disease". This
fungal disease usually strikes and kills an entire tray-full quite
quickly but sometimes if you have, say, a mix of closely sown
seedlings and some more spaced out then the disease may hit the close
ones but not affect the more spaced out ones.

The treatment for this problem used to be something called Cheshunt
Compound but, just like everything that's useful in pest/disease
control, the rules changed and it's no longer on the market. The only
currently available substitute is Bayer Fruit and Vegetable Disease
Control though there are many who are skeptical about its
effectiveness.

Prevention being better than cure, ways to hopefully prevent the
problem are (1) always use clean seed trays and fresh seed compost
rather than multipurpose, (2) make sure there's good ventilation -
stagnant moist air is a real problem for seedlings - remove them from
the propagator once they've germinated, (3) water only with tap water
that's been allowed to stand for a couple of days to let the chlorine
evaporate, don't use rainwater and (4) don't over-water.

I moisten the compost before sowing and then leave things in the
propagator until seeds germinate - sealed in, the compost usually
stays moist enough. Once the seeds have germinated I remove the tray
from the propagator and, until the seedlings are big enough to
transplant, I use a mister to keep them just moist. I don't use a
watering can until they've been pricked out and are growing in their
own space.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:26:21 +0000, Jake
wrote:

Prevention being better than cure, ways to hopefully prevent the
problem are (1) always use clean seed trays and fresh seed compost
rather than multipurpose, (2) make sure there's good ventilation -
stagnant moist air is a real problem for seedlings - remove them from
the propagator once they've germinated, (3) water only with tap water
that's been allowed to stand for a couple of days to let the chlorine
evaporate, don't use rainwater and (4) don't over-water.

Why 'don't use rainwater' Jake? I've always used collected rainwater
for seedlings - have I been doing something terribly wrong?
Old 13-03-2012, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

wrote:

Prevention being better than cure, ways to hopefully prevent the
problem are (1) always use clean seed trays and fresh seed compost
rather than multipurpose, (2) make sure there's good ventilation -
stagnant moist air is a real problem for seedlings - remove them from
the propagator once they've germinated, *(3) water only with tap water
that's been allowed to stand for a couple of days to let the chlorine
evaporate, don't use rainwater and (4) don't over-water.

Why 'don't use rainwater' Jake? I've always used collected rainwater
for seedlings - have I been doing something terribly wrong?

rainwater is usually fairly infected.

NT

Old 13-03-2012, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Prevention being better than cure, ways to hopefully prevent the
problem are (1) always use clean seed trays and fresh seed compost
rather than multipurpose, (2) make sure there's good ventilation -
stagnant moist air is a real problem for seedlings - remove them from
the propagator once they've germinated, (3) water only with tap water
that's been allowed to stand for a couple of days to let the chlorine
evaporate, don't use rainwater and (4) don't over-water.

Why 'don't use rainwater' Jake? I've always used collected rainwater
for seedlings - have I been doing something terribly wrong?

Rainwater often contains the spores of fungi that will lead to damping
off. Very few containers won't also have in them some leaf or other
crud that's washed down off the roof with the rain. Equally it's
important to let tap water stand as the chlorine will otherwise have
an adverse effect.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:24:59 +0000, Jake wrote:

Equally it's
important to let tap water stand as the chlorine will otherwise have an
adverse effect.

Or, better, use the 'run off' from the hot water tap (the cold that comes
out before the hot arrives) which would otherwise be wasted.
Old 13-03-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote in
:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:24:59 +0000, Jake wrote:

Equally it's
important to let tap water stand as the chlorine will otherwise have
an adverse effect.

Or, better, use the 'run off' from the hot water tap (the cold that
comes out before the hot arrives) which would otherwise be wasted.

That's a brilliant idea - especially in my case,as I have an immersion
heater for emergency use, so the mains water has already been 'sitting' for
a while in that, with cover that will protect it from airborne nasties.

Jim

Old 13-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The treatment for this problem used to be something called Cheshunt
Compound but, just like everything that's useful in pest/disease
control, the rules changed and it's no longer on the market. The only
currently available substitute is Bayer Fruit and Vegetable Disease
Control though there are many who are skeptical about its
effectiveness.
I accidentally bought enough Cheshunt to keep me going for the rest of my life... You only need a very little bit for a few trays of seeds.

Cheshunt compound is a mix of copper sulphate and ammonium carbonate. Since I would imagine you can easily enough buy those ingredients separately, or at least ammonium bicarbonate which would be about as good (it is used as a food additive), it shows the petty-mindedness of the regulations. Basically, for a preparation to be sold, someone has to be prepared to pay for certain tests, regardless of whether the ingredients are individually allowed to be sold. Bordeaux mixture, used almost universally for spraying on grape vines against fungal disease, and would probably be similar effective, though I read something about it being no longer available in the amateur market, because no one could be bothered to pay for the tests.
Old 13-03-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well, you learns something new every day. I always thought rainwater
would be the nearest to nature.

Thank you both.

Old 13-03-2012, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Rainwater brings down with it anything that's in the air it passes
through. *40 years ago I commented to a London flower seller (one of
the street coner ones) that the rain must be good for his flowers and
he said, no, it made them dirty!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

But when do you see weed seedlings damping off?
Old 13-03-2012, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:03:25 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

But when do you see weed seedlings damping off?

Do you go out and count the weed seedlings? Maybe loads damp off but
you only see the ones that grow big enough to be seen.

Have you ever seen a dandelion seedling? If so, please post a pic as
I'd like to know what to look for and nip it in the cotyledon so to
speak.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

But when do you see weed seedlings damping off?

Do you go out and count the weed seedlings? Maybe loads damp off but
you only see the ones that grow big enough to be seen.

Have you ever seen a dandelion seedling? If so, please post a pic as
I'd like to know what to look for and nip it in the cotyledon so to
speak.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

You will find it very hard to tell the differance between Letuce,
Chicory or Dandelion seedlings, you have to wait for a fer trueleaves
tro be able to tell with any certainty.
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay
Old 14-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
40 years ago I commented to a London flower seller (one of the street coner ones) that the rain must be good for his flowers and he said, no, it made them dirty!
But that may be more to do with street dust adhering more easily to wet flowers.

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
Why are my crocuses such a flop? Paul Richards United Kingdom 3 07-02-2005 01:44 PM
leaf flop on phal janet_a Orchids 6 12-07-2003 03:20 PM
The Bt cotton flop show - Experiment at farmers' cost Gordon Couger sci.agriculture 1 21-05-2003 09:08 AM
The Bt cotton flop show - Experiment at farmers’ cost [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 21-05-2003 12:08 AM