Old 13-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered User

Default Can I prune/move my Euphorbia wulfenii??

I am in Hampshire in clay soil.

I have a E.W in the wrong place where it has grown big (80 cm tall-iah) and of course, spreading! Its upper tracts tangle with the lower branches of an apple tree. It would have been far better set towards the back of its bed, not in the middle where it obscures anything behind it, but there you go!

My question is, can I either prune it back hard now or can I move it, if so, when and how?

Any thoughts welcome.
Old 13-03-2012, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2012 09:19, miljee wrote:
I am in Hampshire in clay soil.

I have a E.W in the wrong place where it has grown big (80 cm tall-iah)
and of course, spreading! Its upper tracts tangle with the lower
branches of an apple tree. It would have been far better set towards
the back of its bed, not in the middle where it obscures anything behind
it, but there you go!

My question is, can I either prune it back hard now or can I move it, if
so, when and how?

Any thoughts welcome.

I suspect it will survive whatever you do but it would be better moved
before it comes into growth. Beware of the milky sap - many people are
sensitive to it and some species can have very caustic sap. Extremely
painful if it gets in your eyes with potential risk of permanent damage.

ISTR some are worse when combined with strong sunlight as well. And some
of the succulent desert Euphorbias are positively lethal.

Recommend wearing gloves and eye protection when pruning euphorbias.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown