Old 20-03-2012, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tulips

Does anyone know whether different tulip varieties belonging to a
particular group, eg Gregeii tulips, flower around the same time?
Old 20-03-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:34:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

clippertyclop wrote in news:55b839ed-ce21-42d8-a38e-
:

Does anyone know whether different tulip varieties belonging to a
particular group, eg Gregeii tulips, flower around the same time?

I am not a flower or bulb expert, but I have 3 varieties which grow in my
gravel garden, I planted them when we moved into this house. Supposed to be
long season pack.

Our first ones are in leaf now and showing stems, the 2nd and 3rd are just
poking through.

What I have seen over the last 4-5 years is that we have a succession of
tulips from late March to end of April, and the first to flower look
scruffy and dying when the 2nd are in flower, and so on. This can make your
tulip bed or border look neglected. The idea with bulbs is to let the
foliage rot naturally to feed the parent bulb.

In my experience, just cut all overground growth as the flowers die. Makes
a tidy patch.

Hope this helps
Baz

I've got various types in a large bed and they all seem to flower more
or less together. Whilst some poke through the soil before others, the
late starters catch up. IME the planting depth makes more difference
than the type. In tubs I plant three layers and then the highest
flower first, the next lot come up underneath them and the final lot
flower quite late.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 20, 4:15*pm, Jake wrote:
[...]

The problem is I wanted my tulips to flower alongside my Daffs and
Muscaria. I planted Kaufnanniana type tulips (Stresa) last October.
What happened was that the tulips all began to flower during the first
week in March for nearly 2 weeks . They have finished now. On the
packet it said they flower in 'March/April', but clearly the April bit
is wrong. Neither my Muscaria nor Daffs have flowered yet, but are in
bud and look like they will begin in about a week from now. Meanwhile
my Puschkinia have started to bloom. So clearly I chose the wrong
tulips for the purpose. Recently I read more than once that Gregeii
tulips start flowering after just after the Kaufmanniana finish, so
maybe I should have bought those instead. But then I read on another
web page that a variety of Gregeii doesn't begin to flower until late
April. Confusing or what, and neatly brings me back to the question of
whether different varieties of a tulip type are expected to flower
around the same time?

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
tulips question seeking Gardening 1 20-04-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips Dave&Dana Gaunky Gardening 4 12-03-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM