Old 21-03-2012, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default paper birch; is this a disaster?

A couple of years ago I posted here seeking advice on watering policy
for 6 paper birch trees that were planted to screen a large building
project.

All has gone well and the trees seem fine, there are nice new buds and
the trees are probably established enough to rely on the local
rainfall. After planting they were well supported by a criss-cross of
pegged steel cables and these have done their job well. However,
having just inspected the trees, it appears that 3 of them have
produced growth round the cables which are now trapped. Here's an
example..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/cable%20trapped.jpg

Can anyone advise? I've been in touch with the planter but he's not
responding. Should one whittle away with a sharp saw/knife until one
can get enough purchase to wrench the cables out or sever the cables
so that a short length is left within the trunk of the growing tree?

The trunk is about 3" diameter btw.

Would appreciate any suggestions...
Old 21-03-2012, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote in message news

[...]

I would sever the cables, there is a line of plane trees on Madeira which
has a wire fence running right through it, the trees are fine, but in your
case the wire would continue to get tighter which would not be good. Cut
carefully and within a couple of years the trees will grow over the
intrusion and it will be less visible.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 21-03-2012, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote in message news

[...]

Cut the wire and the plastic. If possible, pull the wire itself out of its
plastic tube. Not much chance really but have a go. Why? Because the ends
will disappear and vanish into the tree and in years to come when you have
forgotten all about it, or the new owner knows nothing about it, and tries
to prune the tree with a chain saw ..................

Need I say more?

Mike

Old 21-03-2012, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:45:44 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"bob" wrote in message news

[...]

Charlie, Sacha, Mike - many thanks, I'll do as you all suggest, leave
the cable in the tree and trim it with cable cutters. I've slackened
the cables anyway (should have done it a year ago!) so there's no
immediate urgency.

Yesterday, having got into a bit of a panic, I started to shave some
of that extra growth round the cable but as soon as I saw the sap I
decided to halt. Hope I've not done any harm!
Old 21-03-2012, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2012 10:13, bob wrote:

[...]

I'd remove the cable, but in any case don't worry about it - it's
amazing what trees can absorb. See first paragraph he
http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/main.cfm?objectid=5379

--

Jeff

Old 22-03-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 10:59:38 UTC, Sacha wrote:
It's not too uncommon for someone felling a tree to find an
old piece of wire in the bark.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Not just wire! I could fill a page with things I've found deep inside trees and they've not usually been beneficial to the saw chain..
Some highlights - A large calibre rifle bullet, gate hangings and probably worst of the lot were big pieces of roof slate in crucks of yew trees growing under the walls of the 'big house'
As for the op's question you've all answered as I would have.

Rod