Old 23-03-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing saw palmetto in Southern England?

Has anyone tried growing saw palmetto in England (outdoors)?
I'm in the South Coast. Weather is very warm in Summer and we may get a few
nights of light frost in winter. It gets a tad windy here sometimes, being
on the coast.

Thanks...
Al
Old 23-03-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

Has anyone tried growing saw palmetto in England (outdoors)?
I'm in the South Coast. Weather is very warm in Summer and we may get
a few nights of light frost in winter. It gets a tad windy here
sometimes, being on the coast.

AKA Serenoa repens. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmetto.
Mentioned in 'Gardening on the Edge', Philip Browse Ed., p.93, as
having been tried at Lamorran House, http://tinyurl.com/7zw6qf2, a
steeply sloping garden right on the coast at St. Mawes, on the east
side of the Fal estuary opposite Falmouth. They grow a wide range of
semi-hardy and tender palms there, but according to Browse, they've
not been successful with Saw Palmetto. If they can't grow it, I doubt
if you'll manage it, but there's no harm in trying. I'm all in favour
of people pushing their luck when it comes to tender plants. Expect
failure, but be really pleased occasionally!

Thanks.. yes it does look a bit hopeless. I can't find the plants for sale
here either (which tells me something...)

Al

Old 23-03-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote in
:

[...]

I grew some from seed and after 5 years they must be all of 3" tall!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 24-03-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

"AL_n" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote in
:

[...]

Jesus McGinty! I've heard of slow, but that is something else!

Al