Old 28-03-2013, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palmetto question

This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.
Old 28-03-2013, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2013 14:33, Goodoleboy wrote:
This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.

What are you on about?
Or should that be "What are you on"?
Old 28-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodoleboy View Post
This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.
Things that are weeds some places are desirable non-invasive garden plants other places. We in Britain laugh at the idea that they grow ground elder as a decorative plant in cooler parts of north America, it is such a terrible weed here.

Palmetto is a pretty vague name. I guess you are referring to Sabal spp. They cannot be not grown out of doors in Britain. If you did manage to grow it in some protected spot, it would be unlikely to set seed.
Old 28-03-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Goodoleboy" wrote

This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.

We tend not to get any small palms growing in our gardens like weeds. in
fact they are not considered an outdoor plant in the UK.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-03-2013, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

What are you on about?
Or should that be "What are you on"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmetto_extract reminds us
this American plant is a traditional remedy for prostate
constriction in elderly men. (One of my doctor friends
takes this herbal preparation just in case . . .)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 30-03-2013, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2013 18:28, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Goodoleboy" wrote

This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.

We tend not to get any small palms growing in our gardens like weeds. in
fact they are not considered an outdoor plant in the UK.

We do not allow racism to grow indoors or outdoors here. Alas, it grows
thuggishly elsewhere.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 31-03-2013, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 9:36*am, Spider wrote:
On 28/03/2013 18:28, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Goodoleboy" *wrote

This is really a question for southern English people--I know much of
your place is frozen.

The government wants people here in Florida to use native plants as
much as possible, but I always thoght the palmetto was more of a weed
than anything. They keep sprouting up on my property, and I always
pull them up. Do you let them grow, and if so, do you let the Asians
on your property to pick the seeds for the prostate benefits? I don't
like the idea of Asians tromping around on my property.

We tend not to get any small palms growing in our gardens like weeds. in
fact they are not considered an outdoor plant in the UK.

We do not allow racism to grow indoors or outdoors here. Alas, it grows
thuggishly elsewhere.

It's been a while since we had a race riot here. England? Not so
long.