Old 29-03-2012, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed help please

I've got two major problems on the lottie, and would appreciate some advice.

Problem No 1. Jerusalem artichokes - how do I get rid of them? So far I've
tried digging them up, glysophate and, with one lot, covering them with
black plastic for a year. They are *still* growing! Previous bod must have
liked them as he planted them at both ends of the plot.

Problem No 2. Raspberry canes coming in from next door. I've tried digging
them up, but the roots go way down. If I treat them, will glysophate do it
or will I need something stronger? I no longer care if I kill next doors
canes, as we asked him to move them away from the fence and he planted more.

All advice much appreciated.

--
Kathy

--
Kathy

Old 29-03-2012, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/03/2012 00:05, Kathy wrote:
I've got two major problems on the lottie, and would appreciate some
advice.

Problem No 1. Jerusalem artichokes - how do I get rid of them? So far
I've tried digging them up, glysophate and, with one lot, covering them
with black plastic for a year. They are *still* growing! Previous bod
must have liked them as he planted them at both ends of the plot.

Glyphosate followed about 3 weeks later by digging out the roots. Might
require a couple of goes to get rid. Not as hard to zap as horseradish.

Problem No 2. Raspberry canes coming in from next door. I've tried
digging them up, but the roots go way down. If I treat them, will
glysophate do it or will I need something stronger? I no longer care if
I kill next doors canes, as we asked him to move them away from the
fence and he planted more.

Tie them in and enjoy the free raspberries! They are not so invasive
that you can't sever them at the roots with a spade if you want rid.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 29-03-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:05:48 +0100, Kathy wrote:

Problem No 1. Jerusalem artichokes - how do I get rid of them? So far
I've tried digging them up, glysophate and, with one lot, covering them
with black plastic for a year. They are *still* growing! Previous bod
must have liked them as he planted them at both ends of the plot.

I suggest you develop a taste for them: it will be quicker in the long
run More seriously, previous bod may well have planted them as a wind-
break at either end. Are you /sure/ you don't need this windbreak?
Old 29-03-2012, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:05:48 +0100, Kathy wrote:

Problem No 1. Jerusalem artichokes - how do I get rid of them? So far
I've tried digging them up, glysophate and, with one lot, covering them
with black plastic for a year. They are *still* growing! Previous bod
must have liked them as he planted them at both ends of the plot.

I suggest you develop a taste for them: it will be quicker in the long
run More seriously, previous bod may well have planted them as a wind-
break at either end. Are you /sure/ you don't need this windbreak?

Certainly not at the back, where there is a quite substantial, and very
pretty, rose and clematis hedge. And not really at the front, either. The
wind tends to come across the plot rather than up/down it. Unless I light a
fire of course. Then it comes from wherever will blow the smoke to where
I'm working, regardless of which direction it was blowing when I lit the
fire.

--
Kathy

Old 29-03-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 29/03/2012 00:05, Kathy wrote:
I've got two major problems on the lottie, and would appreciate some
advice.

Problem No 1. Jerusalem artichokes - how do I get rid of them? So far
I've tried digging them up, glysophate and, with one lot, covering them
with black plastic for a year. They are *still* growing! Previous bod
must have liked them as he planted them at both ends of the plot.

Glyphosate followed about 3 weeks later by digging out the roots. Might
require a couple of goes to get rid. Not as hard to zap as horseradish.

Thanks, will try again.

Problem No 2. Raspberry canes coming in from next door. I've tried
digging them up, but the roots go way down. If I treat them, will
glysophate do it or will I need something stronger? I no longer care if
I kill next doors canes, as we asked him to move them away from the
fence and he planted more.

Tie them in and enjoy the free raspberries! They are not so invasive that
you can't sever them at the roots with a spade if you want rid.

Unfortunately, they are growing in the wrong place, taking over the
blackberry area.

--
Kathy