Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Potatoes in Containers

I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Mark Austin
wrote:

I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.

Once the foliage is a couple of inches above the surface of the
compost, just cover it. Repeat as necessary. The reason for covering
is that more tubers will then form on the shoots. Add the compost
gently rather than simply chucking on top of them, which could snap
them.

It's also important to keep the compost moist but not to allow it to
become waterlogged.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the east end of the temporarily damp
but still sunny Swansea Bay.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2012 18:46, Mark Austin wrote:
I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.

The principle is to just cover the stems because this encourages them to
create more potatoes from the stems. Don't completely cover the foliage,
just cover up the sides of the stems. If you cover them completely they
have no sunlight and no means to convert sunlight and CO2 into starch
i.e. potatoes. They will in fact waste energy pushing through the soil
to reach the light again.

I grow mine directly in the garden, initially sunken in a furrow, barely
covered with soil. Most are showing above ground already but still not
above their sunken furrow. The first hoeing up will actually just make
the soil level rather than depressed. The second hoeing will make the
customary ridges. I usually get very high yields and an early crop.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Austin" wrote in message
I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how
long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I
cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.

I'm growing pototoes this year for the first time in two black plastic
dustbins . I drilled holes in the bottoms for drainage. I planted 6
potatoes in each and as they progressed I've added more compost to earth up
the shoots. I've finished earthing up, as the shoots are at the top of the
bins.

I took some advice from Jake and from the site quoted below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...otatoes1.shtml

I hope you will be successful.

Bill

Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Austin View Post
I have planted some seed potatoes in a potato planter and am wondering how long I should wait before I cover the foliage with more compost? Should I cover immediately or let the foliage develop first?
Mark.
Once the plants is a filled of inches above the surface of the fertilizer, just cover it not to total fill out. Do again as necessary. The reason for layer is that more tubers will then form on the shoots. Add the compost gently rather than simply chucking on top of them.